VOGONS

First post, by DevanWolf

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I noticed some of my MIDI devices that I have which are the DD-55, DD-50, and MI075 (done via circuit bending because the MI075 is missing a Demo button, based on a hacked Spectrum AIL-495) output MIDI data for demo songs. I've done the dumping for them as MIDI files so to play the synth's demo songs on other MIDI devices from the computer instead of the main unit itself. Searching for MIDI files of demo songs from those devices came up empty so I wanted to inform users to help here.

Here is what I have done:
Yamaha DD-55 (via the built-in record method, 5 demo category + 20 song category = 25 total songs (except loop songs)) EDIT: ORIGINAL SONG MIDI FILES HAVE BEEN FOUND on DBWBP's DD-55c ROM dump!
Yamaha DD-50 (1 demo + 30 song = 31 total (except loop songs))
(Circuit Bending Done) First Act MI075 (or Spectrum AIL-495) (50 total)
Yamaha SHS-200 [GM Version] [SMAF Conversion] With help thanks to Stogie of Voodu, restored from "MIDI to Text" Dump into full proper timing optimizations and GM conversion by me.

Songs extracted from ROM dumps by DBWBP:
Yamaha PSR-280
Yamaha PSR-350

MIDI Song Dumps Wanted from those MIDI devices (in which I don't have, if you have one of those, then dump them now!)

• Yamaha PSS-480/580/680 (bad recording exists, needs rerecording)
  • Yamaha PSS-780 (bad recording exists, needs rerecording)
  • Yamaha SHS-10 (Last Christmas)
  • Yamaha DD-65/YDD-60
  • Yamaha DD-75
  • Trust 49-Key MIDI Keyboard (2 total)
  • Amstrad Fidelity CKX100 (7 total, except drum channel transmission)

And some more I don't know yet that have output-able demo song MIDI data...Let me know what they are.

MIDI FILE RIPPING/DUMPING PROCEDURE (SYNC FROM DEVICE'S EXTERNAL CLOCK e.g. DD-50)

1. Make sure the MIDI IN and OUT ports on your device are connected to your computer.
  2. Using Sekaiju, create a new file, select all pre-created events starting from 01:02:000, then delete everything of those.
  3. On your MIDI device, find the External Clock option and turn it on.
  4. I recommend setting the tempo value to 60 (or if tempo=120, set play speed mode to slow) for recording, you can change to the intended song tempo value after the record (without changing to the song's matching tempo it will be incorrect). Now click the Real-Time Input (record) button to start recording while automatically starting the currently selected song (on some devices the song play doesn't start automatically, if so hit the DEMO or Start/Stop button on device).
  5. Stop recording, then optimize the data (e.g. extra/duplicate events, offset to start of first MIDI event, convert to format 0 if possible).
  6. Finally, save as a MIDI file and there you have it: a dumped MIDI demo song from your MIDI device! Repeat this procedure if there are more available songs to do.

MIDI FILE RIPPING/DUMPING PROCEDURE (SYNC FROM DEVICE'S INTERNAL CLOCK (if External Clock option in device is not available) e.g. SHS-10)

1. Make sure the MIDI OUT port on your device are connected to the MIDI IN from your computer.
  2. Using Sekaiju, create a new file, select all pre-created events starting from 01:02:000, then delete everything of those.
  3. Make sure "Speed = Slave to other machine" is selected and set the intended tempo value of the internal song. Now click the Real-Time Input (record) button to start recording then so hit the DEMO or Start/Stop button on device.
  4. (Stop the demo song if it loops, then) Stop recording, then optimize the data (e.g. extra/duplicate events, offset to start of first MIDI event, convert to format 0 if possible).
  5. Finally, save as a MIDI file and there you have it: a dumped MIDI demo song from your MIDI device! Repeat this procedure if there are more available songs to do.

MIDI FILE RIPPING/DUMPING PROCEDURE (ALTERNATE PROGRAM WITHOUT CLOCK SYNC, e.g. CKX100)

1. Make sure the MIDI OUT port on your device are connected to the MIDI IN from your computer.
  2. Using MIDI-OX, open the Logger dialog. Set to MIDI to Text and enable.
  3. Now start playing the demo song from the connected MIDI device.
  4. After the demo song ends (if it repeats from the end, stop song now), click the LOG button located at the bottom-right of the status bar.
  5. Use T2MF on the recorded MIDI text file to be a MIDI file and there you have it: a dumped MIDI demo song from your MIDI device! Repeat this procedure if there are more available songs to do.

MIDI FILE RIPPING/DUMPING PROCEDURE (via Musicsoft Downloader: for DD-65/YDD-60 and DD-75)

1. Select the song number to be dumped by turning the dial.
  2. Hit Record. Wait until the song ends (please don't record the drum pad performance!) then hit Record again or Start/Stop.
  3. While your Digital Drum is connected to computer via MIDI, using Musicsoft Downloader, select the electronic music instrument then select UserSongX.mid (X=Saved into User 1-5) for the recorded MIDI song to be saved to your computer. Rename the saved UserSong.mid to the correct song name listed (e.g. 00 DD Funk.mid)
  4. (Optional) Optimize the data using a MIDI editor like Sekaiju to delete unneeded MIDI events on channels 1-9, All the songs on the DD-65/YDD-60 and DD-75 never have MIDI note data for MIDI channels 1-9. (Make sure to save it afterwards!)
  5. Repeat this procedure for more songs to dump.

Good luck! Let me know if you succeed or have trouble.