VOGONS

First post, by soviet conscript

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A lot of times I've noticed when people are looking for a SB clone hanging midi note free card the Yamaha cards get suggested but almost all of them require some special cable bought or made to connect a daughter board. I recently acquired a REVEAL K2Y-PRO16 (FCC ID) and I was wondering whats everyone's opinion. Its ISA and full height so it can accommodate a midi DB and it has a real OPL chip on it.

Reply 1 of 8, by Jolaes76

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You meant this one I suppose:

https://sites.google.com/site/flytrapgear/ele … model-k2y-pro16

This will be a pretty decent SB Pro compatible card.

Although I found there are different brand cards with the name K2Y-PRO16. (Mine has an Opti controller chip.)
If you have a CS4248 chip on it then it is: a Codec 16-bit 48KHz, WSS Compatible, ADPCM, Full Duplex (as CS4231 without pulse code modulation compression/decompression). (Quoted from gerwin's Holy Guide to ISA Sound Cards 😀 I do not know how well the Reveal chip performs against the common Opti 924 /929 / 930 but you should not expect serious problems. Well, it is probably not the king of SFX polyphony as Creative and Yamaha 718/719 but will sound clear and nice. Having a true OPL3 chip is a bonus as well.

"Ita in vita ut in lusu alae pessima iactura arte corrigenda est."

Reply 3 of 8, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There are more manufacturers that using the same board lay-out.. In the past my dad bought that Reveal 4x cd-rom kit that came with that soundcard.. ( i guess it was a panasonic drive kit)

It isnt a very great card / but also not very bad either.. It just have some popping noise..

~ At least it can do black and white~

Reply 4 of 8, by soviet conscript

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

thats the card. mine has the cs4231a-kl chip. mine also came with the 4x CD Rom drive.

Reply 5 of 8, by NJRoadfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Its likely a rebranded Aztech. Reveal was basically an accessories brand for Packard Bell. Sound cards and things like Reveal's TV tuner cards were the same as the OEM cards found in period Packard Bell machines.

http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fortune/fortun … 5/06/12/203837/

Reply 6 of 8, by MaxWar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have seen several cards with similar layout. I also have several different reveal cards, yet untested.

One of the best sounding FM card I have is of similar make, look at my sig OPL3 comparison run and check out the ROCK16.
https://sites.google.com/site/soundcardcomparison/

The FM out of this card sounds really sweet.
But I also have one that looks almost the same but sounds very thin. So it is hard to say how good those cards are before you try and compare them.

FM sound card comparison on a Grand Scale!!
The Grand OPL3 Comparison Run.

Reply 7 of 8, by retrofanatic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have used a couple different versions of the K2Y-PRO16....not a bad card but at loud volumes (set by the utility by default), there is excessive distortion especially being used in windows sound system mode. It is a versatile card though since it is sb pro sb and wss (16bit) compatible along with 3 different cd rom interfaces and has wave table header.

I did try the card on numerous occasions with kings quest 6 on a pentium 166 with sierra patches installed and with caches enabled and disabled but always had the game freeze on me when using wss and my nec xr385 for music and sb for speech. It may not have been the card and could have been some resource conflicts as well but I'm not sure...I just know it happened with two different 486 setups I had.

There's other cards out there like Yamaha ymf 718 and 715 that I prefer that are sb sb pro sb 16 compatible and have wavetable header.

Reply 8 of 8, by smeezekitty

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have a Reveal SC400 Rev.4
Its a clone of some other card but I am not sure which OEM. It does indeed tend to have hanging midi notes
Driver support isn't the greatest either but it works. I stuck it in my DX/33 machine