VOGONS

dosbox keyboard problem

Topic actions

First post, by Mojo1999

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

hi

I've just installed the latest version on bosbox and I’m having a problem with the keyboard.

The second I press a key i.e. 'a' it repeats forever on screen and I have to terminate the application.

Is there a fix for this?

Many thanks

Reply 1 of 10, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

remove the mapper file

Reply 2 of 10, by Mojo1999

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

i've removing the mapper file, it still happens. Then i've uninstalled the program and removed my settings from the c:\users directory. It still happens, any ideas?

Reply 3 of 10, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

post the content of dosbox status/console window

Reply 4 of 10, by Mojo1999

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

hi

DOSBox version 0.74
Copyright 2002-2010 DOSBox Team, published under GNU GPL.
---
CONFIG:Loading primary settings from config file C:\Users\***\AppData\Local\DOSB
ox\dosbox-0.74.conf
MIDI:Opened device:win32

many thanks

Reply 5 of 10, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Strange, my vanilla DOSBox 0.74 have started to show the same behavior. Pause before the reaction to key press, no reaction to un-pressing the key etc... The trouble is - my DOSBox settings are the same at least 1 year...

Hmm, after the resetting the DOSBox conf the trouble is gone.

Ok, the source of this trouble is the "cycles=max" string... WtF? 🙁
Another "megaupdate" from the NegroSoft?

Reply 6 of 10, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ok, found the root of the my problem. The HyperThreading was disabled in the BIOS.
Enabling, restarting - no keyboard glitch...

Asus P4P800 SE/Pentium4 3.2E/2 Gb DDR400B,
Radeon HD3850 Agp (Sapphire), Catalyst 14.4 (XpProSp3).
Voodoo2 12 MB SLI, Win2k drivers 1.02.00 (XpProSp3).

Reply 7 of 10, by bduhbya

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello. I am seeing the same problem, but I was using dosbox 0.74 with no issues for about a week when it suddenly began happening. I attached an image of the issue. Here is a quick description of how it started happening for me:

This instance, my mouse and keyboard were coming through the program synergy (it shares mouse/keyboard over multiple systems via tcp connection). I started dosbox, mounted c:\dosprog and then started DOOM and my mouse input malfunctioned in a way I had never seen. Every mouse input made the doom guy move in the same direction. This was the first time I played using this Synergy setup and the problem with the mouse was there as soon as I started DOOM. I assumed that using Synergy was the problem. I stopped the synergy client (the server providing the mouse/keyboard was on another machine), and I plugged in a local keyboard mouse with dosbox still running. After about 5 seconds (literally) the video went crazy (hard to describe) and then returned and the mouse input was still not working correctly.

I closed dosbox and re-opened thinking it would fix the issue. I tried to mount my c:\dosprog directory and that is when I noticed the 'm' just kept repeating. Now EVERY time I run dosbox, the first keystroke I make is repeated forever, until I put another application in focus. Then the keystroke repetition stops, but when I return to dosbox it will no longer accept any more keystrokes for awhile. When it does accept them again, it does the same infinite repetition. It is basically frozen, but the cursor is still flashing. For example, if I start dosbox and then start to type 'mount ....', the 'm' will start repeating (as if I have it held down) and then it behaves as I described above.

I restarted several times. I installed dosbox 0.63 and the same issue occurred. I moved the dosbox folder to a thumb drive and still it will not work. I deleted my c:\users\*****\appdata\local\dosbox directory and re-installed multiple times. I tried all the different CPU settings after reading this post and so far nothing has stopped the repeating first keystroke. I toggled hyper threading in the bios and ran with hyper threading off and then on again. Same problem in every situation.

I do not think I have a key mapping file, so I have done nothing with that. I am wondering if a registry setting became corrupted or something?

I am running an Intel Core i7-2820QM CPU @ 2.3GHz and 2.3GHz (both cores). 8 MB RAM, 64-bit Windows 7. I did install Windows XP mode in my windows 7 (basically a WinXP virtual machine) and dosbox ran correctly inside the Windows XP VM, but running a VM inside of a VM was not a great experience. Can't really play DOOM with the mouse and it is choppy as all heck.

Again, it ran great until I tried to hot-swap my mouse and keyboard with dosbox running and now multiple versions of dosbox all have the same problem.

Please let me know what else I should try. Thank you in advance for the assistance. I was really looking forward to playing all my old games on my upcoming 10 hour flight to Europe.

p.s sorry for the length, just trying to be thorough.

Regards,

Brent

Reply 8 of 10, by bduhbya

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello. I was able to fix my issue in an unexpected way. The next time I used my Synergy setup, I turned on dosbox and sure enough the keyboard was fine. So I turned off Synergy and the keyboard was back to repeating the first keystroke.

So, with Synergy running, I pulled up the keymapper and mapped the 'm' key to 'm'. I ran out of time at that moment for testing (at work and all), but earlier today I tried dosbox and it worked fine. So in my case, it seems I needed a forced keymap to undo whatever havoc Synergy had wreaked with dosbox on my Windows machine.

Reply 9 of 10, by bryan.schmidty

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Having Synergy on was my issue. Once I stopped the Synergy service, I didn't have any more issues in DosBox with repeating characters. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

Reply 10 of 10, by lightmaster

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Nice necropost. Can some mod mark this as solved and close pls?

25071588525_735097840e_b.jpg