VOGONS

First post, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Introduction
I am testing an Adlib 8-bit ISA sound card (1987). It's nearly a quarter of a century old.

1) Link to the 3rd party Windows 3.1 driver (FM31.drv) and .ROL music file player. Filename is FMDEMO.ZIP. Source: cd textfiles.
2) Link to some downloadable AdLib software and manuals. Source: QuestStudios.
3) Link to version 6 of WinImage. See note 3 below. Filename is winima61.exe. Source: WinImage.

Notes
1) This is a 3rd party .ROL music file player. I tested this in Windows 3.11 (wfwg), and it works. I tried other versions of this player, versions 0.9 and 1.0. They can be found here. The 0.9 version worked, but the 1.0 version crashed with a page fault error. I think that's because all versions prior to this particular version (1.31) weren't written for Windows 3.11, but for Windows 3.0 instead.

2) This is a post by Vogons user Cloudschatze on the QuestStudios website, and contains various download links for the AdLib including software and manuals. The software available for download includes AdLib's DOS based jukebox, poptunes, visual composer, and instrument maker.

3) I used this tool in order to extract the files from download link 2, above. Firstly, I "unzipped" these files, and then I ran WinImage. Please note that the files from download link 2 above are in "floppy disk 360K format". This means that you can't write them directly to a 1.44MB floppy disk, for example. You'll have to extract the files individually to your HDD, and then copy them over to a floppy disk of your choice.

This older version 6 of WinImage works OK on Windows 95. I tried Version 8, and the website says that it will work on Windows 95, but it didn't seem to work. Please note that it's possible that version 7 will work OK with Windows 95. However, at this point in time I didn't test this idea.

Questions
1) I can't get the MS AdLib driver supplied on the MS Windows 3 (wfwg) diskettes to work. I was hoping to get a 3rd party MIDI player to "midi map" some MIDI tunes to the AdLib's FM chip. Is this possible, I wonder? I've discussed the details of this problem is here.

Recordings
1) Link to a recording containing about 30 seconds each of three tunes from AdLib's DOS based Jukebox software.
2) Link to the Amadaus .ROL music recording, played by the 3rd party Windows 3 FM music player.

Edit: I just noticed to my dismay that a lot of my MediaFire links are corrupted. Ugh. Stupid website. If you click on "copy link" button while the upload is taking place, in order to save a bit of time, it just gives you a mangled URL that doesn't work. If anyone has tried to click on my download links, and just been dumped in to the "root directory" of my MediaFire account, that isn't supposed to happen. You're supposed to be given the file that you want. I'm trawling through all of my old posts, to see just how many of my MediaFire links are mangled, and then correcting them all. If anyone spots any mangled links that do this, please let me know. Thanks a lot.

3rd party FM music player
ad1.jpg

Sound panel. You can map the wave sounds to the FM chip, so that the Windows 3 beep noise sounds better.
ad2.jpg

The card
a1.jpg
a2.jpg