VOGONS

EarthSiege 2 vshell.exe error

Topic actions

First post, by badflame

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This is version 1.13 of the game.

Once the game is installed, screenshot errors occur consecutively when trying to run it from Windows 3.11.

Any help?

Reply 1 of 30, by Cyberdyne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Dude. It is a Windows 9x game. Only some special version is for 3.1x

I am aroused about any X86 motherboard that has full functional ISA slot. I think i have problem. Not really into that original (Turbo) XT,286,386 and CGA/EGA stuff. So just a DOS nut.
PS. If I upload RAR, it is a 16-bit DOS RAR Version 2.50.

Reply 2 of 30, by badflame

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Cyberdyne wrote on 2024-07-24, 18:26:

I know. The 1.13 (only version that includes Spanish) CD have a dual installation that includes both a directory for Windows 3.x and another for 95. The setup.exe detects your system and uses the corresponding installer.

The installation is done without problem. In fact, it has a requirements test and it passes them all without any problem. It doesn't show any sign of error until the game is run.

I suspect that the problem comes because, as the game's technical information text file indicates, it recommends installing the version of Win32S that is included on the CD itself.

But it turns out that it doesn't allow you to install it because it says that before loading Windows 3.11 you must load SHARE.EXE to install it. I tried running SHARE.COM which includes FreeDOS, also fakeshar.com from Vogons. They load into memory and then I run Windows 3.11, but I still get the same message, as if it doesn't recognize that the program has been run.

Anyway, I'm not sure either, since my version of Win32S is 1.30.172.0.

Reply 3 of 30, by Cyberdyne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ad vshare.386 to your system.ini.

I am aroused about any X86 motherboard that has full functional ISA slot. I think i have problem. Not really into that original (Turbo) XT,286,386 and CGA/EGA stuff. So just a DOS nut.
PS. If I upload RAR, it is a 16-bit DOS RAR Version 2.50.

Reply 4 of 30, by jmarsh

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The win32s kernel is similar to win95 and has the same compatibility issues with DOSBox's CPU emulation. It's just not going to work.

Reply 5 of 30, by badflame

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Cyberdyne wrote on 2024-07-25, 10:46:

It's included in my Windows 3.11 system by default. But just like the DOS executable seems to be ignored.

jmarsh wrote on 2024-07-25, 11:46:

The win32s kernel is similar to win95 and has the same compatibility issues with DOSBox's CPU emulation. It's just not going to work.

That is what it seems 🙁

Reply 6 of 30, by jmarsh

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You could at least try it with cputype=pentium_slow but I wouldn't hope for much improvement.

Reply 7 of 30, by exofreeze

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It works fine. I've got the game running perfectly in win3x via dosbox.

Claiming otherwise is simply misinformation.

Reply 8 of 30, by exofreeze

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
badflame wrote on 2024-07-25, 16:43:
It's included in my Windows 3.11 system by default. But just like the DOS executable seems to be ignored. […]
Show full quote
Cyberdyne wrote on 2024-07-25, 10:46:

It's included in my Windows 3.11 system by default. But just like the DOS executable seems to be ignored.

That is what it seems 🙁

I have it running. Please PM me and I'll be happy to explain what to do

Reply 9 of 30, by badflame

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
jmarsh wrote on 2024-07-25, 17:29:

You could at least try it with cputype=pentium_slow but I wouldn't hope for much improvement.

I have tried both 486 and Pentium with no difference.

exofreeze wrote on 2024-07-25, 22:46:

I have it running. Please PM me and I'll be happy to explain what to do

With great pleasure.

Reply 10 of 30, by jmarsh

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
exofreeze wrote on 2024-07-25, 22:45:

Claiming otherwise is simply misinformation.

As the person who wrote the 64-bit dynamic_x86 core for DOSBox (and fixed more than a few bugs in the others), I know the limitations it has and anyone who claims it works properly with the windows 95 kernel is wrong.

Reply 11 of 30, by xcomcmdr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

here is my config, from years ago:

[cpu]
# core: CPU Core used in emulation. auto will switch to dynamic if available and appropriate.
# Possible values: auto, dynamic, normal, simple.
# cputype: CPU Type used in emulation. auto is the fastest choice.
# Possible values: auto, 386, 386_slow, 486_slow, pentium_slow, 386_prefetch.
# cycles: Amount of instructions DOSBox tries to emulate each millisecond.
# Setting this value too high results in sound dropouts and lags.
# Cycles can be set in 3 ways:
# 'auto' tries to guess what a game needs.
# It usually works, but can fail for certain games.
# 'fixed #number' will set a fixed amount of cycles. This is what you usually need if 'auto' fails.
# (Example: fixed 4000).
# 'max' will allocate as much cycles as your computer is able to handle.
#
# Possible values: auto, fixed, max.
# cycleup: Amount of cycles to decrease/increase with keycombo.(CTRL-F11/CTRL-F12)
# cycledown: Setting it lower than 100 will be a percentage.

core=normal
cputype=pentium_slow
cycles=50000
cycleup=1000
cycledown=1000

[autoexec]
# Lines in this section will be run at startup.
# You can put your MOUNT lines here.
@echo off
mount C C
imgmount D "CD\EarthSiege2.cue" -t iso
PATH C:\WINDOWS;
SET TEMP=C:\WINDOWS\TEMP
SET BLASTER=A220 I7 D1 P330 H5 T6
c:
win
exit

Windows installation is in a 'C' subfolder.
The BIN/CUE CD image is inside a 'CD' subfolder.

Works absolutely fine in DOSBox 0.74-3 with WfW 3.11 and WIN32S. No need for SHARE.EXE, emulated or otherwise.

I think either pentium_slow or core=normal deactivate the dynamic core. That's why it works. But I don't pretend to understand the DOSBox internals.

You can find the guide on how to setup Windows 3.11 and WIN32S inside DOSBox here on VOGONS: Windows 3.1x DOSBox Guide

Be sure to follow it. For example, the S3 and soundblaster drivers are very important.

Cyberdyne wrote on 2024-07-24, 18:26:

Actually, it's a WIN32S game. Meaning it works both with Windows 3.11 and Windows 95, thanks to this WIN32 API Subset.

On the box, the Windows 3.11 compatibility is advertised.

I purchased it myself, and that copy works with Windows 3.11 too. The message about SHARE can be safely ignored. No need to edit SYSTEM.INI.

There's a lot of games that target Windows 95 commercially, but also advertise Windows 3.11 compatibility (for example, Fury3, the 'sequel' to Terminal Velocity). And WIN32S made that transition period possible.

Reply 12 of 30, by jmarsh

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

core=normal disables the dynamic core.
cputype=pentium_slow enables memory page protection checking, which the win32 kernel uses for dynamic stack expansion.
It would be surprising if the normal core is more accurate than the dynamic core, but then again it's 0.74-3 - SVN has a lot more fixes.

Reply 13 of 30, by xcomcmdr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I tried it again, and to pass the Win32S error message, you need FAKESHAR from the Windows 3.11 guide: Windows 3.1x DOSBox Guide

You can remove it once WIN3S is installed. I don't see it in my AUTOEXEC section.

Here is the relevant section of my SYSTEM.INI file:

[386Enh]
device=dva.386
device=C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\WIN32S\W32S.386
display=vdds3764.386
EGA80WOA.FON=EGA80WOA.FON
EGA40WOA.FON=EGA40WOA.FON
CGA80WOA.FON=CGA80WOA.FON
CGA40WOA.FON=CGA40WOA.FON
device=*vpd
mouse=*vmd
ebios=*ebios
woafont=dosapp.fon
keyboard=*vkd
network=*dosnet,*vnetbios
netheapsize=16
device=*vcd
device=*vpicd
device=*vtd
device=*reboot
device=*vdmad
device=*vsd
device=*v86mmgr
device=*pageswap
device=*dosmgr
device=*vmpoll
device=*wshell
device=*PAGEFILE
device=*BLOCKDEV
device=*vfd
device=*parity
device=*biosxlat
device=*vmcpd
device=*combuff
device=*cdpscsi
device=vtdapi.386
device=vpmtd.386
device=vcomm.386
device=serial.386
device=lpt.386
device=ifsmgr.386
device=vcache.386
device=vshare.386
local=CON
FileSysChange=off
COM3Irq=4
COM3Base=03E8
COM4Irq=3
COM4Base=02E8
PagingFile=C:\WINDOWS\WIN386.SWP
MaxPagingFileSize=61440
device=vsbpd.386

I stand corrected. IIRC, vshare.386 and related stuff were added by the WIN32S installer.

Anyway, here it is running inside DOSBox with WfW 3.11 and WIN32S in the screenshot below. Back in the day, I played for hours without any issues. Same with other games that require WIN32S.

An important correction to the config above:

[cpu]
core=dynamic
cputype=pentium_slow

It will *CRASH* instantly if you use core=normal !

BTW, WIN32S is the absolute limit of what DOSBox supports.
If you try Windows 9X, you are going to have a bad time!

Reply 14 of 30, by hail-to-the-ryzen

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Jmarsh is a primary source of information on emulation, particularly in the cpu portion of DOSBox. In my experience, win95 games have eventually shown the instabilities that he has documented or described, including in the sound emulation, but also in the fpu and paging systems. Potential problems in win32s, a subset of the win32 api, are also documented:
Re: Win32s compatibility issues?
Re: Is Windows 3.1 limited to win32s?
https://devblogs.microsoft.com/oldnewthing/20 … 517-00/?p=14013 [win311 - 32-bit protected mode]
Get mouse working on Windows 3.11 booting from disk image under DosBox
Earthsiege 2 on Windows 3.11 on DOSBox - virtual memory issue

Reply 15 of 30, by xcomcmdr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah, Windows 95 is not supported.

But all Win32S games work just fine in my experience. And this has been the case for at least a decade.

Reply 16 of 30, by hail-to-the-ryzen

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This thread was started because of win32s incompatibility in dosbox.

Reply 17 of 30, by badflame

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
xcomcmdr wrote on 2024-07-26, 14:40:

Yeah, Windows 95 is not supported.

But all Win32S games work just fine in my experience. And this has been the case for at least a decade.

xcomcmdr I have replaced my system.ini with yours, but the initial error VSHELL.EXE still appears

I would like to point out that if I use from DOSBox core NORMAL, when I double-click on the icon to launch the game it does nothing. In AUTO or DYNAMIC the game launches but produces the error VSHELL.EXE

I don't want to have confused anyone when I talked about the error that occurs if I try to install Win32S from the CD (to replace my own), which is when it requests SHARE.EXE. This is another error different from the game's own and it addresses the possibility that the game specifically requests the Win32S version that it includes and is not compatible with any other version, even if it is more modern. However, it has been impossible for me to verify this, since as I have explained previously, I have executed several versions of SHARE and the installer does not recognize it. In addition, my system.ini also includes the driver device=vshare.386, which should replace it.

Since it obviously works for you, my question would be: what version of the game do you have? 1.13 or 1.11? Does your CD have a "spanish" folder?

Reply 18 of 30, by jmarsh

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Are you sure you tried with cputype=pentium_slow? "pentium" on its own is not a valid type, and the errors in the screenshots look like they are page related (addresses very close to end-of-page boundaries).

Reply 19 of 30, by badflame

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
jmarsh wrote on 2024-07-26, 16:55:

Are you sure you tried with cputype=pentium_slow? "pentium" on its own is not a valid type, and the errors in the screenshots look like they are page related (addresses very close to end-of-page boundaries).

Yes, I have tried both "pentium_slow" and "486_slow", with the same result.