VOGONS

First post, by jnemo2004

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

https://theretroweb.com/motherboards/s/dataexpert-367c

Hello good morning. I recently bought this motherboard with a lot of corrosion to try to repair it.
I have removed all affected components and attempted to repair damaged tracks.
I have reviewed all the clues with the help of a graph and everything seems to indicate that they have been repaired.
Once the damaged tracks were repaired, I soldered the removed components and replaced the broken components.
I just haven't put in the 4 SIMM sockets from bank 0 since I thought I could use the 4 SIMMs from bank 1.
I have installed an AMD 386DX33 processor, I have connected the board and it does not work.
All voltages and CLKs are present, the RST signal too but the diagnostic board is at 00, it does not start.
The questions are the following:
1.- According to the information on The Retro Web, the board must always use the SIMMs from bank 0. Do they have to be soldered again?
2.- I have been able to verify that some connections of the DIN5 connector are made using hidden tracks. Pin No. 4, which must be connected to GND, does so through L1. I don't know if it's correct.

Reply 1 of 10, by jnemo2004

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

More images

Reply 2 of 10, by jnemo2004

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

3.- The processor heats up but how can I know if it is working correctly. Is there any output signal that I can measure to check if it works.

Reply 3 of 10, by jnemo2004

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello, good afternoon.
I have re-soldered the Bank0 SIMM sockets that I had previously removed to check if the tracks were okay. I have also put in the 4 SIMMs from bank 0. I have rechecked the tracks that had corrosion to see if they are well connected and they are all good but the board still does not work.
The only thing I find strange is that with an oscilloscope I don't see signals in Keyboard CLK and DATA but I don't know when they should be present so I'm not saying they are bad.
I have tried to find the Data sheet for the UNIchip U4800-VLX Chipset.
Do any of you have this data sheet?
Thanks and regards.

Reply 4 of 10, by Deunan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This mobo has a mounting hole near the 206 chip, it's very close to some important traces. Make sure nobody damaged those or the mobo will not work.

Reply 5 of 10, by jnemo2004

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It looks like a hole but it isn't. It must have been a reflection. Thank you very much and best regards.

Reply 6 of 10, by Deunan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Not that. PCB mounting hole, near the 206 chip. Behind the 8-bit ISA slot.

Reply 7 of 10, by jnemo2004

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello, I'm sorry for the misunderstanding.
The tracks you mention are all intact.
Thank you very much for your notice.
Greetings.

Reply 8 of 10, by jnemo2004

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello good morning.
I would like to have a checking system when I start with a motherboard.
The one I have is very basic:
1.- I check that the power lines in the main connector are not shorted.
2.- Without adding memory, CPU and graphics card, I connect the PSU and check the following voltages:
In ISA socket, +5v, -5v, +12v, -12v
In SIMM sockets +5v
In processor socket, the corresponding voltage.
3.- I check the following CLKs:
In ISA socket, 8 Mhz (sometimes lower)
In board:
CLK 34.768Khz
CLK 14 Mhz
In processor socket, the corresponding frequency.
I would also like to check the communication of the Keyboard with the KBC (CLK and DATA) but I don't know how to do it
4.- I insert the diagnostic card and check:
The voltages (again)
the RST signal

5.- I would like to add more verifications. If any of you can add some, I will appreciate it.
For example, how to know each of the main chips is working, processor, chipset, etc.

Reply 9 of 10, by PD2JK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

RTC crystal working as well? You said all clocks, so I guess it works.

i386 16 ⇒ i486 DX4 100 ⇒ Pentium MMX 200 ⇒ Athlon Orion 700 | TB 1000 ⇒ AthlonXP 1700+ ⇒ Opteron 165 ⇒ Dual Opteron 856