VOGONS

First post, by Maksiii

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, recently I built my WinXP machine and installed some classic games.

Hlaf-Life runs perfectly under software or GL, Half-Life 2 & Ep1 work fine but Episode 2 and Portal both crash saying that it requires Pixel Shader 1.1 to run. I can't get past the "loading" at start before that happens.
HL2 and Ep1 also report a software Dx level of 9.0 and hardware Dx level of 7.0 and I cannot change that no matter what command lines or compatibility mode I use.

DxDiag says I have Dx9.0c installed, Call of Duty plays fine and FarCry also shows no issues on Direct3D9.
NVidia is also updated to the last available version provided by them, and before this I even had a more "recent" version (94.xx) but still nothing changed

GPU: GeForce4 MX440 - CPU: Pentium 4 @2.40GHz - RAM: 768Mb
I checked and these are acceptable requirements to run these games.

Another thing, I accidentally broke a capacitor/accumulator on my GPU (at the tip, near the end), could that have anything to do with this issue?

Anyone have ideas on how I can get these games up and running? Thanks

Reply 1 of 7, by feda

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ep 2 requires DX 8.1 hardware at the minimum. Portal too, probably. That card is too old.

Maksiii wrote on 2024-07-02, 10:52:

Another thing, I accidentally broke a capacitor/accumulator on my GPU (at the tip, near the end), could that have anything to do with this issue?

That's not good. How bad is the damage?
I don't think that's the cause, but it could lead to other problems. Probably shouldn't keep using it with a bad cap.

Reply 2 of 7, by Ovenchips

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ep2 & Portal came with the "Source 2007" version of the engine which dropped DX7 Support. I had nearly the exact same setup in 2007 and was disappointed when I couldn't play EP2, Portal or TF2!

Dell C521 | A64 x2 4000+ | 2GB DDR2 | 7600GS | X-Fi Titanium | XP SP3 2005 | Hacksaw mod (don't ask)
Shuttle SN85G4 | S754 A64 3200+ | 2GB DDR | 6600GT | Audigy 2 ZS | Win ME
Pentium III 700MHz | 512MB | GF4 Ti 4200 + Voodoo2 12MB | SB Live! | 98SE

Reply 3 of 7, by Maksiii

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Oh, I really thought my card was DX9 compatible and Ep2 had the same requirements, I probably looked at the wrong website for specs at the time 😒

The capacitor just came clean off, still has the 2 connectors attached and is intact. It's a "2c 220 6V", the card has a bunch of these.

Thanks for the reply and help anyway 😀

Reply 4 of 7, by feda

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Besides, the MX440 is from 2002 and the game came out late 2007 (the year of Crysis!). You wouldn't get a decent frame rate out of it even if it was compatible.

Reply 5 of 7, by Maksiii

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Ovenchips wrote on 2024-07-02, 11:39:

Ep2 & Portal came with the "Source 2007" version of the engine which dropped DX7 Support. I had nearly the exact same setup in 2007 and was disappointed when I couldn't play EP2, Portal or TF2!

Yeah! I wish there was a hack like the "CPU patches" to remove instructions for modern games to be able to run on old CPUs. One can dream... 😁

Reply 6 of 7, by UCyborg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

My first "modern" PC had NVIDIA GeForce4 MX440 and Intel Celeron clocked at 2 GHz. It was OK for older games of the time. Everything newer had to be kept at low resolutions and those games couldn't be get to look as intended at all on that card since it was stuck at Direct3D 7 feature set.

My next PC was a proper gaming PC with ATI Radeon HD 4890. I was blown away by amount of stuff I was missing in the then already older games. Some observations I recall, Far Cry actually looked beautiful instead of the pixelated mess, reflections on various characters' armor in Halo: Combat Evolved, properly looking energy ball in Half-Life 2: Episode One inside citadel, visual fidelity difference between Call of Duty 2's DirectX 7 and DirectX 9 modes looked like night and day (though some of us still preferred DX7 mode for online play to get crazy high frame rates and responsiveness).

Of course, I finally got to play Half-Life 2: Episode Two as well! Who else carried that gnome from beginning of the game to the rocket at the end??

Arthur Schopenhauer wrote:

A man can be himself only so long as he is alone; and if he does not love solitude, he will not love freedom; for it is only when he is alone that he is really free.

Reply 7 of 7, by Maksiii

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I messed around with the DirectX versions under a more capable PC and I got interesting results.

I am using my other PC with Windows 7 & a GeForce 1060 and if I launch HL2 EP2 in "+mat_dxlevel 10" which doesn't exist, the game will still launch, play like normal and claim the running DirectX version is 6.0 (I attached a picture of the render).

After this, I tried to run in any other mode like "+mat_dxlevel 100" or "-dxlevel 100"... or above the game will crash with the same message I got in my XP machine (I need Pixel Shader 1.1 to run).

Like XP, at some point after trying new modes, even 80 it would just crash immediately, mat just didn't work at all and dx_level wouldn't run anything other than 90/95.

At this point I tried "dx_level 90" and the game finally loaded.
After that, I tried 95 & 100 which work just fine.
Trying 110 & 120, the game still registered these in hardware mode even if not "compatible" but after setting all graphics to high and changing the resolution from the default 4:3 to 1680x1050, the game reverted back to DirectX 7.0.

Now I wonder, does it work under 6.0 and 7.0 because it's some sort of DirectX "emulation" compatible with the game requirement of 8.0+ or what gives? 😁