VOGONS

First post, by justin1985

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I recently saw the Compaq Armada M series laptops mentioned and figured one would make a great compact Win98 machine - ATI Rage Mobility graphics and ISA based ESS ES1869 audio!

I saw one really quite cheap on eBay, described as having a faulty keyboard - I took a chance, but it seems the keyboard problem is a broken membrane trace affecting a whole load of keys on the right hand side, including Enter and the arrow keys 🙁

I didn't have any luck finding spare keyboards, but after a few weeks found another "power on tested" M300. This one turned up in better condition than I was expecting, including another dock, and fully working (if dirty) keyboard - but the display hinges are totally loose and floppy.

The attachment IMG20240605082157.jpg is no longer available

Machine one has:

- Broken keyboard membrane (could be traced and repaired with conductive paint? But popping off all the keys without snapping hinges seems unlikely?)
- BIOS error code 101 "I/O ROM Error" (I can't find this in the hardware manual or much about it online, but similar Compaq error codes on other machines seem to suggest corrupt EEPROM, but then it does boot anyway - the CMOS battery is dead - could it just be that?)
- Quite worn / chipped lower case around the edges
+ Boots to DOS no problem
+ Great condition screen
+ Nice firm but not stiff screen hinges
+ Great condition touchpad
+ Dock in fully working condition - although eject button very stiff, had an empty MultiBay which I filled with a dirt cheap DVD-ROM from eBay

The second machine has:
- Totally floppy screen hinges
- Slightly duller and somewhat marked screen
- Dirty keyboard
- Dirty / worn touchpad
+/- Outer case less chipped and worn, but some bubbling paintwork
+/- Boots into Windows 2000 but always seems to hang at "Applying security policies" before the login screen (presumably just a corrupted installation/ drive?)
+/- Dock drives and ports work, BUT eject button feels totally locked up and doesn't move the catches (which do themselves move - so presumably some broken lever or spring inside?)

So, the obvious fix will be to move the keyboard from machine 2 to machine 1 ..

The attachment IMG20240605082240.jpg is no longer available

Hopefully a new CMOS battery might fix the error 101 on machine 1 ? Otherwise a motherboard swap might be necessary?

I can't help thinking it would be nice to get both of them fixed up though! Any tips on restoring laptop hinges of this generation? I opened up enough of the plastics to get to the hinges and they don't have visible bolts to tighten like more modern laptops - each half just has a blind end, and the screws holding them to the screen assembly and chassis were perfectly tight - so a bit stumped here!

Reply 1 of 4, by H3nrik V!

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
justin1985 wrote on 2024-06-05, 21:58:

Hopefully a new CMOS battery might fix the error 101 on machine 1 ? Otherwise a motherboard swap might be necessary?

It could very likely be fixed by a fresh CMOS battery. If you can connect an external keyboard, you could try to open BIOS and save settings and see if the issue goes away (but will probably be there again after next power down).

Please use the "quote" option if asking questions to what I write - it will really up the chances of me noticing 😀

Reply 2 of 4, by justin1985

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I swapped the CMOS battery from the machine that doesn't have the 101 I/O ROM error to the one that does, but it made no difference. Both read 0.03v on a multimeter, so a replacement clearly in order anyway (they're CR2016 with a short two pin lead - unusual?). So it looks like it might be an actual BIOS EEPROM error? I'm surprised that a PC with a supposedly corrupt BIOS or failed EEPROM would still boot though?

This thread Compaq Armada M300 - bios update refers to having successfully flashed an M300 BIOS using the link there, so I might give that a try before resorting to a motherboard swap?

Swapping the keyboard to the machine with the functional screen hinges DID work though 😀 If I can sort that ROM error message, I'll be happy and move on to setting up an operating system on it ...

Reply 3 of 4, by justin1985

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Replacing the CR2016 battery did clear the "101 I/O ROM Error" message!

But - I've now noticed the "good" keyboard has another weird issue - instead of some keys not working like the original one, some keys on this one also simultaneously press others. "H" and "6" always appear together, and "'" and Backspace etc.

Is this another membrane issue?

The back of the keyboard doesn't seem to have any pegs, and the only screws are where the blank spacers around the arrow keys are. So it seems like the only way to get to the membrane would be to unclip all the keys?

The attachment IMG20240612225743.jpg is no longer available

Reply 4 of 4, by justin1985

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So I'm starting to think about this again ... I need to summon the courage to take off all the keys from one of the keyboards to try and diagnose + hopefully fix the membrane issue. The keys seem to fit like Thinkpad ones, so lifting from the top edge to pop them off should be best? I figure if I break some switches, I'll hopefully still be able to make one good keyboard from the two semi-broken ones ...

But I'm also wondering what to do with the broken hinge machine, and wondering about potentially trying to take out the motherboard, and the guts of the dock which has broken catches etc, and 3D print a case to turn it into a mini desktop.

Something like this project with a much more modern Thinkpad by DIYPerks on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jeLCQ62vFk

Has anyone else tried this kind of thing with a retro laptop motherboard?