VOGONS

Installer erased my PATH

Topic actions

First post, by CmdrKrool

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The installer for VDMSound 2.1.0 seems to corrupt my PATH environment variable if it's over a certain length.

(I'm using XP SP3, and I'm talking about the variable at system-level, not user-level, which I set by going to System Properties -> 'Advanced' tab -> 'Environment Variables' button, 'System variables' list box, ie. the one on the bottom. I don't have any setting for PATH at user-level.)

This was my path to start with:

D:\Programs\Windows Resource Kits\Tools\;d:\Prog\Ruby\Ruby-186-26\bin;C:\WINDOWS\system32;C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\System32\Wbem;C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND;D:\Programs\Video\QuickTime\QTSystem;C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\Core-Static;C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Tools\binn;d:\programs\cd\cdrtools;D:\Programs\System\XP Support Tools;C:\Program Files\Common Files\GTK\2.0\bin;D:\Prog\PHP\php-5.2.5-Win32;D:\Prog\Perl\ActivePerl\bin;D:\Prog\Python\Python26;D:\Prog\C\wxWidgets-2.8.8\lib\vc_dll;d:\Programs\Phone\Samsung\Samsung PC Studio 3;C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Tools\Binn\;C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\100\DTS\Binn\;D:\Programs\Version control\TortoiseSVN\bin;C:\WINDOWS\system32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0;C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Tools\Binn\VSShell\Common7\IDE\;D:\Programs\Sound\Synth\CSound\bin\5.10\bin;D:\Prog\flash\Flex SDK\bin;D:\Programs\Version control\TortoiseGit\bin;d:\prog\c\NVIDIA Corporation\Cg\bin;D:\Programs\Database\PostgreSQL\8.4\bin;D:\Prog\Python\GeoDjango\bin;C:\Program Files\QuickTime\QTSystem\

I ran the installer, accepting all defaults, and afterwards the path had changed to:

C:\Program Files\VDMSound

(Fortunately I managed to recover my original path from a registry backup.)

That original path up there is 1076 characters. You see the 'g' I've highlighted in red - that's the 997th character. If I set my path to all of the characters up to but not including that 'g' and then run the installer, then all is OK - the VDMSound path is simply appended on. I think it's from 997 characters and upwards that the weird things start happening - for example if I include the 'g' and run the installer, then bizarrely I get two seperate results:

- in System Properties, the path appears to have been updated correctly, with VDMSound appended.
- in a command prompt, typing 'path', the path appears unchanged (the command 'dosdrv' isn't found, confirming that VDMSound isn't on there. By the way I'm opening a new command prompt every time before checking my path this way to make sure it will have the latest environment variables.)

In this strange, contradictory situation, if I go to System Properties and try to set the path to its current value - well, as it turns out, Windows doesn't do anything unless you change the value, so I appended a '2' to the end - then the contradiction is resolved, and the command prompt shows the same value, including my original path, VDMSound, and the '2' on the end.

In the original situation with a 1076 character path, both the command prompt and System Properties are changed to the VDMSound path only as originally described.