Reply 20 of 33, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Shagittarius wrote on 2024-10-19, 15:29:
OriginalDan wrote on 2024-10-19, 10:45:
Shagittarius wrote on 2024-10-19, 02:45:

I think most people probably never even completed a single mission.

i dunno about back in the day but Ross Scotts video on it I'm sure got a larger chunk of people playing more than 1 mission
https://youtu.be/abrKxAHJ7qU?si=917OFo1enk8XISdc

I was referring to CyberBykes, not Quarantine, sorry for the confusion.

BTW: I was the one who came up with the ending for the game (Cyberbykes), and Juan L. Sanchez, a fantastic artist, did the animation for it. I won't spoil it incase someone actually plays through it. Good Luck.

Reply 21 of 33, by AppleSauce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Shagittarius wrote on 2024-10-19, 02:45:
leileilol wrote on 2024-10-19, 01:10:
Shagittarius wrote on 2024-08-31, 05:18:

Oh, 1 more thing, initially the game didn't sell very well, and after the producer Rod Humble left the company I got made a producer as well, and I suggested that the box art for the original release was terrible and that I thought it would do better with a re-release with different box art. Which we did, but I never asked if sales picked up. The original box art was a photograph of the desert, mostly just blue sky and some desert with small shrubs. Its funny I looked online and I can't find the original art anywhere, only the box that was changed by my suggestion.

thank goodness it didn't Dune. but also it hopefully didn't cause confusion with the earlier year's Hell Cab either. The minimalist cover art trend of the mid-90s was headscratching.

(i probably have a slight fondness for some humble games and they always lean towards green colors and deep black for some reason. And then I just remembered he did CyberBykes for Gametek and how unscrupulous the single player implementation was)

I did 4 of the levels in cyberbykes. We built the levels then the creator made a change to the code and it changed the numbers of the shapes in the editor and that screwed up some of the designs we did. That was a single programmer who all we really did for that game was packaging, level design, and distribution. That was the deal. He re-wrote the story I had designed for my 4 level mission also. Wasn't too happy that it got messed up but the guy said sorry so...

I was trying to design another 4 mission campaign that had to do with chasing a train around the level and taking out pieces of the train but I came in at like 2AM the last day and fell asleep, so I didn't get my second campaign in the game. The plan was to come in really early and work on it all night, but it didnt work. However I don't think it would have made a big difference in the overall game. I think most people probably never even completed a single mission.

Sorry to hear about your levels getting altered or axed , I guess game development can be messy at times.

Reply 22 of 33, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I've completed Mexico City twice in my life... I think that's a tech demo level

It was an interesting game technically (big cube-based levels, vr support and 1280 res in 1995) but yeah the game could've been clearer for objectives (easily skippable text wall you don't see again when you resume). It wasn't until Cube 2 that there was a 3d action game with a built-in cube-based map creator I think (also before minecraft struck big, blockstorm/murder miners, etc)

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 23 of 33, by AppleSauce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hokay I found the issue , I pulled out almost all the cards except the sb16 and virge card annnnd same issue , so then I swapped the gpu for a s3 trio V2/DX and it works.

So for some reason the game hates Virge VX gpus , I should mention i swapped back to the stb velocity 3D virge after kind of maybe breaking the wgp vx8 virge during a repair attempt , that aside both are 8mb virge VXs and had the same black screen issue ,

so either it doesn't like the specific graphics chipset or the 8mb memory configuration, can anyone else confirm if the game has issues running on virge VXs?

Reply 24 of 33, by Cyberdyne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Never understood. But my Virge DX allso does not like Quarantine and gives me a blank screen. Cirrus 5429 543x 544x cards work just fine. Have not tried my Trio 32.

I am aroused about any X86 motherboard that has full functional ISA slot. I think i have problem. Not really into that original (Turbo) XT,286,386 and CGA/EGA stuff. So just a DOS nut.
PS. If I upload RAR, it is a 16-bit DOS RAR Version 2.50.

Reply 25 of 33, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That card was released 2 years after Quarantine. My guess would be its the amount of Video Ram on the card.

Reply 26 of 33, by AppleSauce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Shagittarius wrote on 2024-10-20, 15:48:

That card was released 2 years after Quarantine. My guess would be its the amount of Video Ram on the card.

Do you happen to know if any of the patches for the game fix the issue?

Reply 27 of 33, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't recall any patches. The company didn't last much past 96 so I doubt they would have supported any of the games with patches after I left.

Reply 28 of 33, by AppleSauce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Shagittarius wrote on 2024-10-20, 21:21:

I don't recall any patches. The company didn't last much past 96 so I doubt they would have supported any of the games with patches after I left.

https://web.archive.org/web/19970117171955/ht … atch/patch.html

There are some in the patches section apparently.

The attachment Screenshot_20241021-093200_Chrome.jpg is no longer available

But the patch readme doesn't really have a changelog of what it fixes. It just says "compatibility" and is kind of vague in general.

The attachment Screenshot_20241021-092855_X-plore.jpg is no longer available

Reply 29 of 33, by AppleSauce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Okay so even stranger things have happened, so Shagittarius mentioned the amount of ram being too high, so after experimenting I found a little trick and got the game running in dos 6.22 , so what I did was run s3vbe20.exe to load the vesa extensions , then I ran s3vbefix /m16 to limit the ram to 1mb and the game finally worked! Even the cd version. This worked a few times , but after going into Windows 3.1 and Windows throwing an error about vesa stuff it wont work anymore , like what gives.

Reply 30 of 33, by AppleSauce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I should also probably add the s3 trio 64 v2 dx card i temporarily used for testing had 4mb of ram so why it would be bothered about the ram being higher than 1mb makes no sense. The whole situation and that this even worked is pretty whack and I'm no closer to understand what is causing all this crashing.

Reply 31 of 33, by AppleSauce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Okay so the game ran one time this time and only on the cd version , it got to the enter copy protection code bit which I purposeley entered wrong three times and it played the anim when it kicks you out of the game, I was lazy so I reset the pc , after which when i tried running it again it wouldn't start the game and it gave me an divide integer error , running the third time lead to a black screen and nothing else. Maybe my system has faulty ram or something.

Reply 32 of 33, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Did you try those patches that you found?

Reply 33 of 33, by AppleSauce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Shagittarius wrote on Yesterday, 17:12:

Did you try those patches that you found?

Yeah unfortunately they didn't fix anything , I also ran a mem test utility and the ram on my pc seems to be fine.