VOGONS

First post, by jkq

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

As mentioned in the subject. Is there any software for DOS (preferrably with source code) for reading battery charge info from ACPI?

Reply 1 of 4, by doshea

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

According to https://github.com/FDOS/fdapm/blob/master/fdapm.txt (not sure if that's the official repository for it), FDAPM from FreeDOS has an "INFO" command which "Displays things like battery fill percentage."

Not sure if this is what you're after though - do you specifically need it to be retrieved via ACPI because your machine doesn't support APM? I assume APM might be a legacy BIOS thing which is no longer supported but I don't know about this stuff. I see there's some ACPI code in that repository too, but from a quick glance it doesn't seem like it's used for getting the battery info.

Reply 2 of 4, by jkq

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
doshea wrote on Today, 00:13:

According to https://github.com/FDOS/fdapm/blob/master/fdapm.txt (not sure if that's the official repository for it), FDAPM from FreeDOS has an "INFO" command which "Displays things like battery fill percentage."

Thanks for that. I'd been looking at fdapm, but didn't notice the "info" command.

doshea wrote on Today, 00:13:

do you specifically need it to be retrieved via ACPI because your machine doesn't support APM?

Yup. No APM on there.

Reply 3 of 4, by doshea

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
jkq wrote on Today, 00:28:

Yup. No APM on there.

Thanks, that's interesting to learn, just not so relevant to me as I never have laptops with working batteries 😁

This seems like a gap in FreeDOS then - perhaps if you report that you have a machine where FDAPM can't be used, someone will update it eventually.

Reply 4 of 4, by jkq

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Alas, "fdapm info" just reports that there's no APM info. 🙁

doshea wrote on 55 minutes ago:

Thanks, that's interesting to learn, just not so relevant to me as I never have laptops with working batteries 😁

Fortunately, this laptop (palmtop, really) battery was easy to repair. Just crack open the battery pack and replace the two 18650 cells.