Reply 460 of 473, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
MIDIfan wrote on 2024-09-15, 07:55:
Kappa971 wrote on 2024-09-15, 00:25:

but why compile it in 32 bit?

Because there are certain things I can only do in a 32bits environment.
Are there any compilation instructions available?

If you have problems with compiling here you can find WinXP compatible 32-bit builds for testing (but they are built from earlier versions):
Re: [RELEASE] Nuked-SC55, low-level Roland SC-55 series emulator announcement

Website, Facebook, Youtube
Falcosoft Soundfont Midi Player + Munt VSTi + BassMidi VSTi
VST Midi Driver Midi Mapper

Reply 462 of 473, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
MIDIfan wrote on 2024-09-15, 07:55:
Kappa971 wrote on 2024-09-15, 00:25:

but why compile it in 32 bit?

Because there are certain things I can only do in a 32bits environment.
Are there any compilation instructions available?

Falcosoft supplied a Windows 32-bit build. It is an attachment in this thread somewhere.
Of course you can also build it for this platform yourself.

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 463 of 473, by MIDIfan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you guys. I'll test that later today.
I'll still need loopMIDI (or something similar) as well, right? Does it also work in windows XP? Because the official site says it's only for windows 7 and up.

Reply 464 of 473, by paxstatic

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
MIDIfan wrote on 2024-09-15, 15:28:

Thank you guys. I'll test that later today.
I'll still need loopMIDI (or something similar) as well, right? Does it also work in windows XP? Because the official site says it's only for windows 7 and up.

The Internet Archive has an older version that works with Windows XP.

https://archive.org/details/loopMIDI_1_0_5_15

Reply 465 of 473, by MIDIfan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So, I tested things. loopMIDI worked, but nuked didn't. Windows XP just threw a generic error and asked if I wanted to report to Microsoft upon running the installer.
Oh well, nevermind then. I guess I'll just use the x64 version.

Reply 466 of 473, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
MIDIfan wrote on 2024-09-16, 05:00:

So, I tested things. loopMIDI worked, but nuked didn't. Windows XP just threw a generic error and asked if I wanted to report to Microsoft upon running the installer.
Oh well, nevermind then. I guess I'll just use the x64 version.

It's interesting since the 32-bit WinXP version has no installer at all 😀.
What kind of 'installer' are you talking about?
1. So instead of running some kind of installer you should simply download this zip file:
https://github.com/Falcosoft/Nuked-SC55/relea … t_x86_winxp.zip
2. Unzip the package.
3. Copy the mkII ROM files into the same folder where you have extracted the zip file (This version does not work with mkI ROM files). Then your directory's content should look this way:

The attachment nuked_xp.png is no longer available

4. Start nuked-sc55.exe.

Reply 467 of 473, by MIDIfan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Oh, sorry. I thought that .exe was an installer. 😛
Anyway, I put the mkII roms in the folder (it looks exactly like yours), then ran the .exe with loopMIDI running in the background. Still got an error:

dPerB77.png

Reply 468 of 473, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
MIDIfan wrote on 2024-09-16, 21:01:
Oh, sorry. I thought that .exe was an installer. 😛 Anyway, I put the mkII roms in the folder (it looks exactly like yours), then […]
Show full quote

Anyway, I put the mkII roms in the folder (it looks exactly like yours), then ran the .exe with loopMIDI running in the background. Still got an error:

dPerB77.png

Maybe your ROM files are not proper?
(Note that any discussion around obtaining ROM files is not allowed here)

Edit: if you start Nuked-SC55 WIN32 without ROM files present, from the command prompt, it should not crash, but output this message:

Base path is: nuked-sc55.exe
ROM set autodetect: SC-55mk2
FATAL ERROR: One of required data ROM files is missing:.....

I just tested that on Windows XP x86.

Reply 469 of 473, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
MIDIfan wrote on 2024-09-16, 21:01:
Oh, sorry. I thought that .exe was an installer. 😛 Anyway, I put the mkII roms in the folder (it looks exactly like yours), then […]
Show full quote

dPerB77.png

I d not know what your problem could be since I re-checked and it works even on a basic WinXP SP2 backed up by a 10+ year old Phenom II.
My only guees is that maybe your CPU does not support SSE/SSE2 and that error is an invalid opcode exception.

The attachment nuked_xp2.png is no longer available

Reply 470 of 473, by mkarcher

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Falcosoft wrote on 2024-09-17, 11:52:

My only guees is that maybe your CPU does not support SSE/SSE2 and that error is an invalid opcode exception.

Excellent guess. I checked the instruction at offset 0F23A (as indicated in the screenshot), and it is indeed an SSE instruction. The memory reference is extremely unlikely to be invalid, so "invalid opcode" will be the type of the unhandled exception.

.text:0040F23A                 movups  xmm0, xmmword ptr [ebp-230h]

This instruction requires a Pentium III processor Athlon XP processor. Everything up to a Pentium II or a Thunderbird will crash on that instruction.

Reply 471 of 473, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
mkarcher wrote on 2024-09-17, 16:10:

This instruction requires a Pentium III processor Athlon XP processor. Everything up to a Pentium II or a Thunderbird will crash on that instruction.

Good find.
It hardly matters, because this emulator requires at least the performance of a Sandy Bridge Core I3 2,1 GHz, or similar. For MKII mode that is.

Reply 472 of 473, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I might be saying something dumb here, but wouldn't it be better if this was also available in a VSTi form? It would be perfect to use with Falco Midi Player.

Reply 473 of 473, by Kappa971

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
carlostex wrote on Yesterday, 21:48:

I might be saying something dumb here, but wouldn't it be better if this was also available in a VSTi form? It would be perfect to use with Falco Midi Player.

On Windows the ideal, in my opinion, would be something like Edirol Virtual Sound Canvas on Windows XP or CoolSoft Virtual MIDI Synth: emulator with drivers for Windows, graphical interface and icon on the taskbar at every Windows startup for access to the gui and the emulator settings (for example which model to emulate, etc.). CoolSoft MIDIMapper would still be needed to select Nuked-SC as the default midi device.
In this case it would not be necessary to have LoopMidi or to manually start the emulator before starting a game.