VOGONS

First post, by DataDragons

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

my retro pc use awe64 with sc-55 [gameport] when i play with game like doom and duke3d sound is very good

but when i use sc-55 on new PC sound onboard with [usb/midi] doom and duke3d sound of sc-55 is very bad

what is the problem here?

Reply 1 of 11, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
DataDragons wrote on 2024-07-24, 04:28:

my retro pc use awe64 with sc-55 [gameport] when i play with game like doom and duke3d sound is very good

but when i use sc-55 on new PC sound onboard with [usb/midi] doom and duke3d sound of sc-55 is very bad

Is your USB MIDI interface an unbranded, ultra cheap one ?

Some of them are quite crappy and some MIDI devices are more sensitive to that than others.

Reply 2 of 11, by DataDragons

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
darry wrote on 2024-07-24, 05:12:

Some of them are quite crappy and some MIDI devices are more sensitive to that than others.

Yes I use unbranded one

Should I use roland usb midi? And sound will the same as my old pc?

Reply 3 of 11, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
DataDragons wrote on 2024-07-24, 05:35:

Yes I use unbranded one

Before you buy anything else, could you share some recordings of how it sounds like when it's "bad" ?

Reply 4 of 11, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Could it be that your system is defaulting to the built-in Microsoft Synthesizer instead of using the SC-55?

I don't have much personal experience with this, but from what I gather, MIDI support is pretty terrible on modern Windows versions.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 5 of 11, by DataDragons

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
darry wrote on 2024-07-24, 05:38:

Yes I use unbranded one

Before you buy anything else, could you share some recordings of how it sounds like when it's "bad" ?

the sound doesn't come out all the way. It's lighter than usual. And the song that came out was completely distorted.

Reply 6 of 11, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Joseph_Joestar wrote on 2024-07-24, 05:52:

Could it be that your system is defaulting to the built-in Microsoft Synthesizer instead of using the SC-55?

I don't have much personal experience with this, but from what I gather, MIDI support is pretty terrible on modern Windows versions.

Good point.

A quick test to either confirm or infirm that scenario would be to test by listening to the headphone out directly on the SC-55 .

Reply 7 of 11, by DataDragons

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Joseph_Joestar wrote on 2024-07-24, 05:52:

I use programs call coolsoft setup on my usb midi I’m pretty sure it’s sc-55

Reply 8 of 11, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
DataDragons wrote on 2024-07-24, 05:59:

Yes I use unbranded one

the sound doesn't come out all the way. It's lighter than usual. And the song that came out was completely distorted.

How is the output of the SC-55 connected ? Are you plugging it into to line-in of your modern computer's sound card ?

Does your SC-55 model have a screen ? If yes, do you dee activity/movement on it during music playback ?

Try with headphones connected directly to the SC-55, if possible.

Reply 9 of 11, by DataDragons

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
darry wrote on 2024-07-24, 06:03:
How is the output of the SC-55 connected ? Are you plugging it into to line-in of your modern computer's sound card ? […]
Show full quote

How is the output of the SC-55 connected ? Are you plugging it into to line-in of your modern computer's sound card ?

Does your SC-55 model have a screen ? If yes, do you dee activity/movement on it during music playback ?

I try with headphone the sound is better I thought it because of my usb midi

Reply 10 of 11, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
DataDragons wrote on 2024-07-24, 06:08:
How is the output of the SC-55 connected ? Are you plugging it into to line-in of your modern computer's sound card ? […]
Show full quote

If it sounds the same with headphones on the old and new PC, the USB MIDI is not the problem.

The problem is likely due to how the SC-55 output is connected when using the new PC.

Reply 11 of 11, by DataDragons

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
darry wrote on 2024-07-24, 06:11:
DataDragons wrote on 2024-07-24, 06:08:

If it sounds the same with headphones on the old and new PC, the USB MIDI is not the problem.

The problem is likely due to how the SC-55 output is connected when using the new PC.

Sound still not good as my retro pc but when I put it on headphone the sound is just louder