VOGONS

First post, by 8bitbubsy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This game has random big stutters from time to time, which I find a bit odd for a game from 2002.

Here's my system:
- Pentium 4 HT 3.4GHz (single-core)
- 2GB RAM DDR 400MHz
- Geforce 8600 GT 256MB PCI-Express
- Intel 915 chipset
- Windows XP Pro SP3 w/ DirectX 9.0c

I've tried to turn HyperThreading off, but it doesn't help. I've also tried to run it on another P4 system with Geforce 6600 GT AGP, same issue. The stutter is especially bad when you pan the camera around in the main hall in the castle.

Are there any known fixes? Maybe I can replace the renderer DLL with a DX9 one? The game runs on Unreal Engine.

386:
- CPU: 386DX-40 (128kB external L1 cache)
- RAM: 8MB (0 waitstates at 40MHz)
- VGA: Diamond SpeedSTAR VGA (ET4000AX 1MB ISA)
- Audio: SB Pro 2.0 + GUS 1MB
- ISA PS/2 mouse card + ISA USB card
- MS-DOS 6.22 + Win 3.1
- MR BIOS

Reply 1 of 5, by feda

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
8bitbubsy wrote on 2024-07-21, 17:01:

Are there any known fixes? Maybe I can replace the renderer DLL with a DX9 one? The game runs on Unreal Engine.

Yes, that's what you should try. Those early UE games are notorious for breaking in all sorts of ways on current hardware.

Reply 2 of 5, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That won't work as renderers are compiled specifically for games as licensees are allowed to alter their internal functions to extend and upgrade their functionality. EA's UnrealEngine1 games tend to come with a heavily modified Direct3D renderer of their own (and deprecate Glide/SoftDrv etc).

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 3 of 5, by feda

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
leileilol wrote on 2024-07-21, 17:32:

That won't work as renderers are compiled specifically for games as licensees are allowed to alter their internal functions to extend and upgrade their functionality. EA's UnrealEngine1 games tend to come with a heavily modified Direct3D renderer of their own (and deprecate Glide/SoftDrv etc).

https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Harry_Potte … r_for_Stock_HP2

There's also a DX11 renderer available for modern systems.

Reply 4 of 5, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Looks like someone naughtily fucked around with a source leak...

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 5 of 5, by 8bitbubsy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
feda wrote on 2024-07-21, 17:35:
leileilol wrote on 2024-07-21, 17:32:

https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Harry_Potte … r_for_Stock_HP2

There's also a DX11 renderer available for modern systems.

I found that renderer after I wrote my first post, and tested it. It just doesn't work for me, HP2 goes straight into software renderer mode. Yes, I have VS2012 runtime installed, and the DirectX 9 web update. I talked to the author of the mod, and he said it's possible it uses Vista/7 functions, as he never tested it on XP.

386:
- CPU: 386DX-40 (128kB external L1 cache)
- RAM: 8MB (0 waitstates at 40MHz)
- VGA: Diamond SpeedSTAR VGA (ET4000AX 1MB ISA)
- Audio: SB Pro 2.0 + GUS 1MB
- ISA PS/2 mouse card + ISA USB card
- MS-DOS 6.22 + Win 3.1
- MR BIOS