User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
AGP4LIfe? wrote on 2024-09-20, 02:01:

Two more hot AGP pickups! MSI GeForce Ti 4800 SE, and Matrix G400 Max. 😀

The attachment PXL_20240917_012652870.jpg is no longer available
The attachment PXL_20240917_003124507~3.jpg is no longer available

Nice to see a GeForce 4 with a better than average factory cooler.

"I'd rather be rich than stupid" - Jack Handey

Reply 54421 of 54431, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Crossed a couple items off the bucket list lately.

The first is an Amiga 500. I'm kinda excited about this one since I've never owned or even used an Amiga before. 😁

I wanted one that was un-modded so I could have the authentic Amiga experience. Took some waiting, but one popped up locally in good condition and included the original box.

The attachment Amiga 500 with box.jpg is no longer available

The other item was a much more rare find, a 286 accelerator card. I wanted one that was compatible with Tandy 1000's, since I have a 1000 SX I want to use it with. Mostly I've seen Tiny Turbos pop up now and then, but they are apparently not compatible with Tandys.

Fortunately this one showed up and included both the 8088 processor and a 80287 math co-pro.

The attachment 286 Accelerator Card.jpg is no longer available

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 54422 of 54431, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Shponglefan wrote on Today, 01:50:
Crossed a couple items off the bucket list lately. […]
Show full quote

The first is an Amiga 500. I'm kinda excited about this one since I've never owned or even used an Amiga before. 😁

I wanted one that was un-modded so I could have the authentic Amiga experience. Took some waiting, but one popped up locally in good condition and included the original box.

The other item was a much more rare find, a 286 accelerator card. I wanted one that was compatible with Tandy 1000's, since I have a 1000 SX I want to use it with. Mostly I've seen Tiny Turbos pop up now and then, but they are apparently not compatible with Tandys.

Fortunately this one showed up and included both the 8088 processor and a 80287 math co-pro.

I don't know your background in vintage PCs but have fun with that Amiga, it's got its own weirdnesses, like primarily being a floppy disk based system. And some eccentricities with being an early GUI but give it some time to sink in and I think you'll find a lot of enjoyment in that stock 500. You will probably want a 512k expansion soon enough.

Reply 54423 of 54431, by Major Jackyl

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
BitWrangler wrote on Today, 01:15:

That's enough Oaks to build Nelson a new pinnace 🤣

Take a closer look at floppy in 5600, it's giving me some slight LS-120 vibes.

It's a Teac FD-235HF and BOY was it gross...

The attachment 20240921_144929.jpg is no longer available
The attachment 20240921_145213.jpg is no longer available

Man, having a LS disk drive would've been pretty cool!

The cats are barking the songs of the birds...
Fishes also whisper a melody that dinosaurs, long long ago, taught their enemies.
Long story short; the cat starved to death...

Intel LX440, Pentium II SL2HE (266), GeForce2MX 400, SoundBlaster 16, etc.

Reply 54424 of 54431, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Shagittarius wrote on Today, 02:10:
Shponglefan wrote on Today, 01:50:
Crossed a couple items off the bucket list lately. […]
Show full quote

I don't know your background in vintage PCs but have fun with that Amiga, it's got its own weirdnesses, like primarily being a floppy disk based system. And some eccentricities with being an early GUI but give it some time to sink in and I think you'll find a lot of enjoyment in that stock 500. You will probably want a 512k expansion soon enough.

IMO the familiarisation with Amiga's OS and GUI goes a lot quicker if you have met any minix/unix/linux systems and have used GEM or another desktop... I have known ppl who have been windows/DOS for years to fly into a rage about Amiga "Not doing it the right way" as if MS knew what they were doing or something. Ppl with MCSEs out the wazoo, thinking they were the ultimate authority on computers, sitting in front of an Amiga catatonic because they can't imagine any other way, it's hilarious. Anyway, it's ain't MSDOS and Windows, bear that in mind.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 54425 of 54431, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Shagittarius wrote on Today, 02:10:

Thank you, I'm expecting it will prove an interesting experience. 😁 And I do have experience with disk-only setups. I have an Apple IIe, for example. So I'm hoping I'll be fine.

It also did come with a 512kb memory expansion (and an external disk drive). Though the memory expansion did have leakage on it where the battery used to be. I assume it will need a new battery before it can be used?

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build

Reply 54426 of 54431, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
BitWrangler wrote on Today, 02:24:

IMO the familiarisation with Amiga's OS and GUI goes a lot quicker if you have met any minix/unix/linux systems and have used GEM or another desktop...

Yeah, I've used various flavors of Linux over the years. And we used to have GEM installed on our first family computer (a 286) back in the day.

I fully expect it will be different than a typical DOS / Windows setup. Part of the fun will be figuring out how it works.

But it's a computer from the 80s, how difficult could it be? 😉

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build

Reply 54427 of 54431, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well the clock won't keep time while off, but you might be able to use the RAM still.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 54428 of 54431, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well basics are, startup-sequence is your combo config.sys and autoxec.bat or your init.rc kinda thing. C directory is where commands are, env are config files, devs is guess what, device descriptors, libs is where libraries live.... so very nixish in that regard.

Reply 54429 of 54431, by Nexxen

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Found a Iomega ZIp 750 USB + 3 100 disks for 25€ incl. shipping.
Sold as working. Let's see.

PC#1 Pentium 233 MMX - 98SE
PC#2 PIII-1Ghz - 98SE/W2K

Reply 54430 of 54431, by Wes1262

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just bought a replacement cooler for a GPU that has never actually existed.

Reply 54431 of 54431, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Today's retro scores:

- Toshiba S1800-614 laptop
- Gigabyte GA-K8NF-9 mobo
- MSI MS-6340 w/ Duron 1200
- Biostar M7VKD w/ Athlon T-Bird 1GHz
- Geforce 7600GS AGP

"Enter at your own peril, past the bolted door..."