VOGONS

HIDman - USB to PS/2 converter (Open Source)

Topic actions

Reply 320 of 360, by rasteri

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just for fun, I bought 3x PS/2 to USB adapters and chained them with 4 HIDmen.

It works perfectly 🤣. There isn't even any noticable lag.

Next step, plug a HIDman into itself. If the universe implodes you'll know why

Reply 321 of 360, by snipe3687

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
rasteri wrote on 2024-06-27, 21:32:

Just for fun, I bought 3x PS/2 to USB adapters and chained them with 4 HIDmen.

It works perfectly 🤣. There isn't even any noticable lag.

Next step, plug a HIDman into itself. If the universe implodes you'll know why

using those enclosures is kind of becoming your signature, isn't it? I love how professional they look!

Reply 323 of 360, by rasteri

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

After a couple of hours hacking we have Amstrad support. I've only tested it on my PC1640 but it should work on the PC1512 at least (they had the same keyboard).

No guarantees it works terribly well (or indeed on other Amstrad systems). I have a PC2386 somewhere, I don't know if it uses the same protocol but I'll dig it out and test.

EDIT : I'm not planning to support the weird proprietary Amstrad Mouse, because the PC1640 has a perfectly good serial port that's compatible with way more software.

Reply 324 of 360, by legodude

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
rasteri wrote on 2024-07-08, 15:34:

After a couple of hours hacking we have Amstrad support. I've only tested it on my PC1640 but it should work on the PC1512 at least (they had the same keyboard).

No guarantees it works terribly well (or indeed on other Amstrad systems). I have a PC2386 somewhere, I don't know if it uses the same protocol but I'll dig it out and test.

EDIT : I'm not planning to support the weird proprietary Amstrad Mouse, because the PC1640 has a perfectly good serial port that's compatible with way more software.

How hard is it to add new protocols? I have a lot of non-PC vintage systems, most of which use their own proprietary input devices and I wonder if HIDman could be a universal USB->anything converter?

mike

Reply 325 of 360, by rasteri

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
legodude wrote on 2024-07-10, 11:06:

How hard is it to add new protocols? I have a lot of non-PC vintage systems, most of which use their own proprietary input devices and I wonder if HIDman could be a universal USB->anything converter?

It's not hard at all to add additional protocols. I'm in the middle of refactoring the USB frontend into a more generic library that could be used to support other systems. (sdcc fixed the 8051 simulator in the last revision so that's gonna make things easier to debug)

I did think about making a kind of "universal converter", like having a base unit with a different adapter for each system. But in that case why not just stick a CH559 in the adapter and convert straight from USB? No need for base unit.

hidman is probably best suited for small cheap platform-specific converters. Personally I'd be interested in looking at Amiga support next (damn Commodore put a different pinout in every bloody machine, though).

Reply 326 of 360, by legodude

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
rasteri wrote on 2024-07-10, 14:25:
It's not hard at all to add additional protocols. I'm in the middle of refactoring the USB frontend into a more generic library […]
Show full quote
legodude wrote on 2024-07-10, 11:06:

It's not hard at all to add additional protocols. I'm in the middle of refactoring the USB frontend into a more generic library that could be used to support other systems. (sdcc fixed the 8051 simulator in the last revision so that's gonna make things easier to debug)

I did think about making a kind of "universal converter", like having a base unit with a different adapter for each system. But in that case why not just stick a CH559 in the adapter and convert straight from USB? No need for base unit.

hidman is probably best suited for small cheap platform-specific converters. Personally I'd be interested in looking at Amiga support next (damn Commodore put a different pinout in every bloody machine, though).

Agree 100% with your point - I wasn't clear but I'm not suggesting one base unit with 2x USB ports and 20x various ports for different systems, but one codebase to support multiple adapters for use in adapters as you mention. I've briefly glanced at the code before but I'll have to sit down again and look in more detail about adding protocols.

mike

Reply 327 of 360, by mikeisfly

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I would very much like to buy one or perhaps many of these. How can I give you my money? Please and thank you!

Reply 328 of 360, by mikeisfly

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Also for someone getting started, how can they take your project and order everything that they need on PCBWay? I would love to have a step by step guide for dummies and possibly a YouTube Video. Thanks

Reply 329 of 360, by SPiKA85

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Has anyone tried the HIDman with a modern wireless keyboard?
I've tried a Lemokey L1 and a Keychron Q6 Max and they both refuse to work.

Reply 330 of 360, by rasteri

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SPiKA85 wrote on 2024-09-02, 03:50:

I have found some QMK keyboards that don't work but only in Native mode (i.e. with "Advanced USB" turned on in the keyboard menu).

With the default BOOT MODE (i.e. Advanced USB turned off) all QMK keyboards seem fine.

Although I'm aware Lemokey & Keychron keyboards use a non-standard wireless dongle so maybe that's the root of the problem

Reply 331 of 360, by rasteri

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mikeisfly wrote on 2024-09-01, 18:58:

Also for someone getting started, how can they take your project and order everything that they need on PCBWay? I would love to have a step by step guide for dummies and possibly a YouTube Video. Thanks

Youtube video is coming soon.

But in meantime I have a few assembled ones for sale, DM me (or email "rasteri at gmail dot com").

Reply 332 of 360, by Dubesinhower

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
rasteri wrote on 2024-09-02, 14:42:
mikeisfly wrote on 2024-09-01, 18:58:

Youtube video is coming soon.

But in meantime I have a few assembled ones for sale, DM me (or email "rasteri at gmail dot com").

This project looks great, seems like a low-cost alternative to USB4VC. I'm interested in building one on my YouTube channel live stream!

However I can't seem to find the part number/ link for the aluminum case though. It is 1 AM when I'm writing this and maybe I missed it somewhere 🤣.

I also use PCBWay, they sponsor my channel as well. Looking forward to your video!

Reply 333 of 360, by willinliv

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, quite a few quotes ago Rasteri wrote this, not sure if it reappears in the BOM but sounds like not. I liked that the front/rear panel is PCB. Does look like a great project that has developed over a number of years and I would have an appetite for about 5 of these so would look forward to the build video especially navigating pcbway for assembled board for newbs!

rasteri wrote on 2023-01-07, 17:55:
florian3 wrote on 2023-01-07, 17:45:

@rasteri do you have a model number for the enclosure that you are using for the serial version (AXP)?

Sure, it's the "E-case A" from Lincoln Binns, 40mm length. https://lincolnbinns.com/shop/aluminium-enclo … case-a-kit.html

The exact same case is available from other companies under other part numbers though, so you might be able to get it cheaper from a supplier near you if you're not in the UK

Reply 334 of 360, by rasteri

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
willinliv wrote on 2024-09-08, 06:29:

Hi, quite a few quotes ago Rasteri wrote this, not sure if it reappears in the BOM but sounds like not. I liked that the front/rear panel is PCB. Does look like a great project that has developed over a number of years and I would have an appetite for about 5 of these so would look forward to the build video especially navigating pcbway for assembled board for newbs!

I'm gonna upload the hidman design files to pcbway's shared projects thing so it should be a one-click type job

Reply 335 of 360, by Dubesinhower

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
willinliv wrote on 2024-09-08, 06:29:

rasteri wrote on 2023-01-07, 17:55:
florian3 wrote on 2023-01-07, 17:45:

@rasteri do you have a model number for the enclosure that you are using for the serial version (AXP)?

Sure, it's the "E-case A" from Lincoln Binns, 40mm length. https://lincolnbinns.com/shop/aluminium-enclo … case-a-kit.html

The exact same case is available from other companies under other part numbers though, so you might be able to get it cheaper from a supplier near you if you're not in the UK

Thank you!

Actually, with the dimensions from the manufacturer's site, I could pretty easily design a 3D printed replacement for those who don't want to pay for the enclosure.

Reply 336 of 360, by rasteri

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Dubesinhower wrote on 2024-09-08, 15:42:

Actually, with the dimensions from the manufacturer's site, I could pretty easily design a 3D printed replacement for those who don't want to pay for the enclosure.

They have a STEP file so you could just print that directly haha

Reply 337 of 360, by Dubesinhower

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
rasteri wrote on 2024-09-08, 16:08:
Dubesinhower wrote on 2024-09-08, 15:42:

They have a STEP file so you could just print that directly haha

Oh yea 🤣

Reply 338 of 360, by mikeisfly

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
SPiKA85 wrote on 2024-09-02, 03:50:

I have tried it with my Logitech Performance MK710 wireless keyboard and mouse and everything seemed to work. The scroll wheel on the mouse didn't work but the left and right clicks did. Also the forward and back buttons on the side of the mouse didn't work. Interestingly trying to get the menu to work on my Windows 11 Pro HP Z-Book with i9 (something and 64GB of ram) wouldn't work. The print of the menu seemed to crash and then would just pressed the carriage return non-stop. I also noticed that some of my keys were mapped wrong after trying to enter the menu. Computer was acting like the [shift] key was being pressed and pressing the shift key didn't have the opposite effect. That being said Hidman does work with my Logitech keyboard and make my mouse just act like a two button mouse with no scroll wheel. The led does flash when I press the additional buttons so I guess the HIDman is receiving the inputs. I would love to see VTY support maybe using the top usb port so configurations can be made on modern equipment via a serial port. By the way the menu worked as intended when using the HIDman with my PiKVM accessing Windows Server 2019 going through a Tripplite rackmounted KVM B020-016-17. I just wanted to see what the menu looked like and don't plan on using this with my modern x86 laptop.I have tried it with my Logitech Performance MK710 wireless keyboard and mouse and everything seemed to work. The scroll wheel on the mouse didn't work but the left and right clicks did. Also the forward and back buttons on the side of the mouse didn't work. Interestingly trying to get the menu to work on my Windows 11 Pro HP Z-Book with i9 (something and 64GB of ram) wouldn't work. The print of the menu seemed to crash and then would just pressed the carriage return non-stop. I also noticed that some of my keys were mapped wrong after trying to enter the menu. Computer was acting like the [shift] key was being pressed and pressing the [shift] or [Caps Lock] key didn't have the opposite effect. That being said Hidman does work with my Logitech keyboard and make my mouse just act like a two button mouse with no scroll wheel. The led does flash when I press the additional buttons so I guess the HIDman is receiving the inputs. I would love to see VTY support maybe using the top usb port so configurations can be made on modern equipment via a serial port and Putty. By the way the menu worked as intended when using the HIDman with my PiKVM accessing Windows Server 2019 going through a Tripplite rackmounted KVM B020-016-17. I just wanted to see what the menu looked like and don't plan on using this with my modern x86 laptop.

Reply 339 of 360, by rasteri

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mikeisfly wrote on 2024-09-23, 02:15:

I have tried it with my Logitech Performance MK710 wireless keyboard and mouse and everything seemed to work. The scroll wheel on the mouse didn't work but the left and right clicks did. Also the forward and back buttons on the side of the mouse didn't work. Interestingly trying to get the menu to work on my Windows 11 Pro HP Z-Book with i9 (something and 64GB of ram) wouldn't work.

Yeah you need to have "Advanced USB" and "intellimouse" turned on in the menu for the scroll wheel and extra buttons to work. (and also disconnect/connect your USB devices, and probably restart your PC).

Regarding the problems with your modern laptop, how did you connect it? HIDman seems to have problems with PS2-to-USB adapters so if you used one of them then that could be the issue. I'm working on that as we speak.