DOSBox Game Launcher (DOSBox Frontend)

Topic actions

Reply 1980 of 2032, by rcblanke

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Neville wrote on 2024-07-24, 17:48:

- On the other hand, I can't enable IBM PS/1 sound with neither Staging nor DOSBOX-X. Although you can enable it from the menu in the case of DOSBox-X.

Hmm, that should work, for both DOSBox versions. The option remains disabled in the DBGL interface for you? Did you maybe have the DOSBox version in DBGL configured, previously? If so, maybe you have ticked 'Enable version-specific options' in the DOSBox version settings. If so, try disableing that. The version-specific settings are outdated for the DBGL alpha builds.

Also, for DOSBox-X you have to configure DBGL to use the 'full' default configuration file (dosbox-x.reference.full.conf, ~243kb), or some options might remain disabled in DBGL.

- I've noticed the Mounting tab is now right after the Info one. Is it because of its importance? In any case, I suggest moving it back to the ending, just like it was before.

Yeah, because of importance indeed. The problem is that people might overlook it, if it remain the last 'tab', especially if the profile editing window is not large enough.

- I think the "Experimental options" text in some sound / graphic options should be replaced for something less ambiguous. Maybe "On selected DOSBox builds only"?

Fair point, I will think about a better description!

Reply 1981 of 2032, by Neville

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Regarding DOSBox-X and IBM PS/1 sound, this is what I get on my system:

6ZXwbAR.png

I've already pointed to the dosbox-x.reference.full.conf.

BTW, I'm currently editing the Spanish translation and making changes. Should I continue or wait for a newer version?

Reply 1982 of 2032, by rcblanke

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

OK, please double-check that you have 'version-specific options' for DOSBox-X, disabled.

The attachment d1.png is no longer available
The attachment d2.png is no longer available

Also, check that you have the entry

ps1_x20240301=on off

in your settings.conf file (in the DBGL folder)

Neville wrote on 2024-07-24, 18:12:

BTW, I'm currently editing the Spanish translation and making changes. Should I continue or wait for a newer version?

Please, continue 😀

Reply 1983 of 2032, by Neville

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Everything was just like that, except for the multiconf option, which was and still is disabled. But for some reason now it lets me enable it:

iWg9pOQ.png

However, now DOSBox-X is misbehaving again, something that has happened before while I was testing it under alpha5. Now input seems screwed up, when I press Enter to bypass the copy protection screen in "Silpheed" (that's the game I'm using to test IBM PS/1 sound) it shows this.

VY3wDFV.png

Reply 1984 of 2032, by rcblanke

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hmm, regarding Silpheed, you may want to try to run it in DOSBox-X without DBGL to make sure it indeed works, or if it's a issue with DOSBox-X or your game copy.

Reply 1985 of 2032, by Neville

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm still looking into it, but it seems to work fine with DOSBox-X outside of DBGL. I've also observed the control issue in other games. I'll do more testing today and post my results here.

Reply 1986 of 2032, by rcblanke

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Maybe check if you're using a custom DOSBox environment.

Reply 1987 of 2032, by Neville

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Nope. I had one in the past that solved some issue with "Lemmings", but later it only gave me trouble. I'll see into my DOSBox-X issues later, right now I'm pretty busy with the Spanish translation. The amount of text to deal with is... [shivers]

Reply 1988 of 2032, by Monotremata

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

2nd attempt at the Alpha here, same as the last one, keeps crashing left and right going through the options for my entries. Was trying to fire up King's Quest V and forgot I had moved all my ISO's and whatnot around. Just clicking the Mounting section crashes DBGL. Had to go back to the latest beta instead.

Everything launches and runs just fine, Im just running into trouble trying to create or edit a profile. Mounting section kills it instantly. Betas have been running great though. 😁

Reply 1989 of 2032, by Neville

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Guess that's why it's called an alpha. I think I'm 70% through with the Spanish translation, but even after I'm done I'll need to review the results. Is there any way I can spell-check just the section in Spanish?

Reply 1990 of 2032, by Neville

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Here's the new Spanish translation for dbgl099alpha5. It's still rough around the edges, I might have missed a few lines in English and it definitely has typos, until I find a way to how to spell check it.

Reply 1991 of 2032, by rcblanke

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi all,

Here's another alpha update fixing the crashing problem reported by Monotremata when using MacOS. I've also corrected an issue when editing a DOSBox-Staging configuration file with an invalid [sdl]priority value. The translation update from Neville is also included obviously.

Please note that I would highly recommend to disable any DOSBox version-specific options (as shown here), to make full use of all the new features included in the newly supported DOSBox families/versions.

Regards,
Ronald

Reply 1992 of 2032, by Monotremata

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Woohoo! So far good with Alpha6!! Just opened up a few profiles, moved around several pages, even changed a couple DOSBox versions and machine templates, all is well.

I thought maybe it was me so I ended up wiping everything out and starting from scratch. It turned out when first creating a profile, everything worked great. I forgot to add a CD mount to one, and going back in brought it all back again haha.
Now I can finish re-adding my games with no worry.

Reply 1993 of 2032, by ANGO

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I´ve installed the latest version of dbg and added the latest dosbox-x and dosbox-staging but I dont have the family option if I edit the dosbox version tab.

Reply 1994 of 2032, by rcblanke

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Please use the latest alpha, ANGO. The beta's are a continuation of the latest stable DBGL release, while the alpha's have support for the unofficial DOSBox builds.

Reply 1995 of 2032, by Neville

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

BTW, there's another thing I wanted to mention... I'm thinking the new "Enable version-specific options" setting may not be a good idea, and that those features should be enabled by default.

yTlLsjc.png

I fear newbies won't think of enabling it and the thread will fill with "3Dfx not working" or "MT-32 won't play sound" complaints.

And anyway, why on earth would anybody add a DOSBox-X or DOSBox-Staging to DBGL NOT to use their extra features?

Reply 1996 of 2032, by rcblanke

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Neville wrote on 2024-08-02, 14:25:

BTW, there's another thing I wanted to mention... I'm thinking the new "Enable version-specific options" setting may not be a good idea, and that those features should be enabled by default. I fear newbies won't think of enabling it and the thread will fill with "3Dfx not working" or "MT-32 won't play sound" complaints.

And anyway, why on earth would anybody add a DOSBox-X or DOSBox-Staging to DBGL NOT to use their extra features?

Eh... what 🤪😊 ?

First of all, the 'version-specific options' are not a new feature at all, they've been available in DBGL since Dec 2020.
Also, you most likely will want to disable them when using the latest alpha build (thus, un-tick the checkbox) !

I guess an explanation is long overdue, so please let me explain.

Prior to the latest alpha builds, DBGL populated all dropdown values in the profile editor with values defined in settings.conf, particularly the [profile] section:

[profile]
output=ddraw overlay opengl openglnb surface

As you can see, the dropdown values are simply space-separated, and can the edited manually with a text editor, or safely using the File->Preferences dialog inside DBGL (dynamic options tab). The reason to allow for these changes to be made was because I figured some users might (for example) want to expand the 'cycles' values, in other words, do some minor tweaking to the available values.

Keep in mind, though, that when changing any values there, you're changing the allowed values for all DOSBox Versions configured in DBGL.

However, when people started using the various DOSBox forks, things got a bit complicated. While one could easily add 'direct3d' for 'output' In order to use that setting with DOSBox Daum, it would mean that 'direct3d' would be available for all DOSBox versions, which is incorrect.

That's why I introduced the possibillity to use dynamic options per DOSBox Version. It would simply create a copy of all existing [profile] entries from settings.conf and store them for the DOSBox version in the database. Then, one could alter these dynamic options while keeping them specific for that version.

The issue with that feature, though, is that in the new alpha builds, a whole bunch of new entries were added in settings.conf for all the new features provided in DOSBox-X, ECE, etc. Any DOSBox version-specific options would most likely be outdated, which would result in disabled controls and dropdowns with incorrect values in the profile editor. Simply disabling the version-specific dynamic options will resolve that problem.

Once disabled and saved, it is perfectly fine to re-enable the version-specific options again, if you so desire. However, I think the need for that would be negligible, because (nearly) full support for DOSBox-ECE, DOSBox-Staging and DOSBox-X should be enough for most users.

To conclude; the new alpha builds still populate the dropdowns with values from settings.conf, but these are now marked with their family name and version. DBGL contains some logic to make sure than when switching from one DOSBox version to another, dropdown selections not available in the target version are intelligently converted to an appropriate, valid value.

I hope that makes sense. Let me know if anything is still unclear!

Reply 1997 of 2032, by wolf

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Awesome to discover this with D-Fend R being dead! 😀
Just a few questions as I begin my journey to possibly replace D-fend:
1-I was trying to import the profiles from D-Fend R, it sees them all but they all fail to import. Just says can't open file. Any help here would be awesome!

The attachment Screenshot 2024-08-02 220122.png is no longer available

2-There any way to force fullscreen stretch like it is possible with DosBox-x, get rid of the black sides even with "Aspect Correction" off?

Thank in advance!!!

Last edited by wolf on 2024-08-03, 10:02. Edited 4 times in total.

Reply 1998 of 2032, by Neville

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
rcblanke wrote on 2024-08-02, 20:39:
Eh... what 🤪😊 ? […]
Show full quote

Eh... what 🤪😊 ?

First of all, the 'version-specific options' are not a new feature at all, they've been available in DBGL since Dec 2020.
Also, you most likely will want to disable them when using the latest alpha build (thus, un-tick the checkbox) !

To conclude; the new alpha builds still populate the dropdowns with values from settings.conf, but these are now marked with their family name and version. DBGL contains some logic to make sure than when switching from one DOSBox version to another, dropdown selections not available in the target version are intelligently converted to an appropriate, valid value.

I hope that makes sense. Let me know if anything is still unclear!

Yep, I think got things mixed up. Sorry about that and please ignore my latest message.

I should also mention that I made a fresh dbgl099alpha6 installation to investigate my DOSBox-X woes and everything seems to work fine so far.

Reply 1999 of 2032, by ANGO

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
rcblanke wrote on 2024-08-02, 09:35:

Please use the latest alpha, ANGO. The beta's are a continuation of the latest stable DBGL release, while the alpha's have support for the unofficial DOSBox builds.

... that did the trick 😀 I was using the BETA .

Thank You