VOGONS

intel is back!

Topic actions

Reply 60 of 118, by 65C02

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
robertmo3 wrote on 2024-06-12, 06:22:
let's say i would like to update my i5-3450 to latest ryzen. I just have to get: - new board, -new ram, -new cpu -new mounting […]
Show full quote

let's say i would like to update my i5-3450 to latest ryzen.
I just have to get:
- new board,
-new ram,
-new cpu
-new mounting kit for the cooler
right?

NO!

i also need to get:
-a scalping kit for the cpu and
-a few separate cpus in case i break them in the process, and no guarantee i will succeed anyway so let's not sell my i5 yet in case i have to go back

that company is a sick joke...

Annnnd you've discredited your own thread. It didn't have much to begin with, but you've just made it official. There is nothing more to see here.

Reply 61 of 118, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
let's say i would like to update my i5-3450 to latest ryzen. I just have to get: - new board, -new ram, -new cpu -new mounting […]
Show full quote

I just have to get:
- new board,
-new ram,
-new cpu
right?

NO!

i also need to get:
-a few separate cpus in case i break them in the process, and no guarantee i will succeed anyway so let's not sell my i5 yet in case i have to go back

Wat?

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 62 of 118, by DundyTheCroc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Show full quote

I just have to get:
- new board,
-new ram,
-new cpu
right?

NO!

i also need to get:

Try to upgrade just to i5-6xxx and you will need the same parts 😀

Reply 63 of 118, by PD2JK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Buy whatever floats your boat.
Don't feed the trolls.

i386 16 ⇒ i486 DX4 100 ⇒ Pentium MMX 200 ⇒ Athlon Orion 700 | TB 1000 ⇒ AthlonXP 1700+ ⇒ Opteron 165 ⇒ Dual Opteron 856

Reply 64 of 118, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Either I just don't get the point OR this is meant to be humor which, in this case, I don't get either OR maybe this is some kind of attempt at trolling ?

Reply 65 of 118, by robertmo3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

delidding intel is easy as the chip is far from the lid so not possible to break the chip
delidding ryzen is very hard as the chips are very close to the lid so very easy to break the chip

delidding ryzen saves 20 Celsius degrees
delidding intel saves 10 Celsius degrees

Reply 66 of 118, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
robertmo3 wrote on 2024-06-12, 09:57:
delidding intel is easy as the chip is far from the lid so not possible to break the chip delidding ryzen is very hard as the ch […]
Show full quote

delidding intel is easy as the chip is far from the lid so not possible to break the chip
delidding ryzen is very hard as the chips are very close to the lid so very easy to break the chip

delidding ryzen saves 20 Celsius degrees
delidding intel saves 10 Celsius degrees

It still does not make it mandatory or even of practical interest to the vast the majority of CPU users.

I also fail to see the relevance of either the ease/complexity or the effective gains of delidding as a gauge of commercial success, technical merit.

Deliding is a niche thing, voids the warranty and carries risks. However, I'm sure the rewards vs risks calculation makes sense to some people and I'm happy for them.

On that note, if you are still using a 12-year-old i5-3450, I am a bit surprised that delidding is something you would even consider worth thinking and talking about as it applies to you personally. Just upgrading to practically anything from Intel or AMD would give you a significant performance gain with no delidding required.

Is your i5-3450 delidded, by the way ?

Reply 67 of 118, by iraito

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Dude I work in a professional setting with really high end PCs, nobody delids anything, it's the most superfluous thing you can do as an enthusiast, I don't see how this could be a point of contempt.

uRj9ajU.pngqZbxQbV.png
If you wanna check a blue ball playing retro PC games
MIDI Devices: RA-50 (modded to MT-32) SC-55

Reply 68 of 118, by wierd_w

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The only real reason to delid ANYTHING, would be some unlabeled mystery chip that came from a company or foundry that does not exist anymore, and you *Really* **REALLY* need to reverse engineer it super bad.

The very idea of removing the top of the package just so you can slather the thing in something silly like molten gallium (which if you know anything about that metal, you will want to keep it far away from anything related to the fine metal wires exposed underneath that package!!) just so you can try to squeeze it like a lemon for a few more drops of performance, is just mindblowing.

I would certainly never do it.

Reply 69 of 118, by robertmo3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

i may be not right here, but i suspect, that the fact that amd (as asked by users) decided to not require new cooler for its latest ryzens, by applying a lid of different thickness, caused ryzen to overheat, hence delidding gives so much (20 C degrees) in its case.

Other cpus don't need delidding that much as they don't force old coolers compatibility

(That was just a hypothetical claim as i don't plan to upgrade anytime soon. Mainly cause cpus moved out of stagnation, so i will try to wait for the next stagnation period to begin before the upgrade, so i don't end up with a junk quickly.)

Reply 70 of 118, by wierd_w

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
robertmo3 wrote on 2024-06-12, 11:00:

i may be not right here, but i suspect, that the fact that amd (as asked by users) decided to not require new cooler for its latest ryzens, by applying a lid of different thickness, caused ryzen to overheat, hence delidding gives so much (20 C degrees) in its case.

Other cpus don't need delidding that much as they don't force old coolers compatibility

(That was just a hypothetical claim as i don't plan to upgrade anytime soon. Mainly cause cpus moved out of stagnation, so i will try to wait for the next stagnation period to begin before the upgrade, so i don't end up with a junk quickly.)

My Ryzen 9 5900 runs just fine. I got an appropriate cooler for the chip's thermal dissipation needs, and it works fine.

Most instances of "Chip overheating!!" come from people trying to use a cooler that is not properly matched, or putting it inside a case that lacks sufficient thermal dissipation qualities. Delidding your chip is.... Simply very unwise. Perhaps for kids that are made of money (which is becoming an increasingly rare phenomenon these days), sure, go ahead and do it. You'll likely ruin the chip doing that in one way or another. That lid is there for a reason.

For people who cant afford that nonsense, just get an appropriate cooler.

Again, my 5900 runs just fine.

Reply 71 of 118, by iraito

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

7950x3d using carbonaut thermal pad and silent assassin cooler, it works perfectly under extreme loads in summer and for 10+ hours.

uRj9ajU.pngqZbxQbV.png
If you wanna check a blue ball playing retro PC games
MIDI Devices: RA-50 (modded to MT-32) SC-55

Reply 72 of 118, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

This thread has taken a turn for a different kind of insanity 🤣

Reply 73 of 118, by AlaricD

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
iraito wrote on 2024-06-10, 19:19:

I felt like i had to do it.

That's *great*!

Reply 74 of 118, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

FWIW, my Ryzen 7 5700X based workstation works just fine at stock voltages with PBO on, PPT capped at 120W and everything else left at motherboard defaults. I might bother with tweaking voltages later, if it amuses me.

With 22C to 24C approx ambient temp, I get a stable max temp below 85C while running Prime95. Cores go up to about 4.5ish 4.3ish GHz and everything is stable.

That's with an approximately 40$ (Can) air cooler.

I'm sure I could shave a few degrees or gain a few MHz by tweaking voltages but since my actual, non synthetic, workloads don't usually bring me above 70C or often even 60C, I think that I have better things to do for now.

Last edited by darry on 2024-06-13, 03:15. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 75 of 118, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I've removed the IHS from a few chips, mostly out of curiosity. When Intel was using thermal paste instead of solder with the CPUs of the previous decade, there were substantial cooling improvements to be had for overclocking fun. I also recently did an Opteron 170 because it would easily overheat. Apparently the OEM paste inside had failed.

Reply 76 of 118, by rmay635703

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I thought the author was an AI

Reply 77 of 118, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
rmay635703 wrote on 2024-06-12, 20:25:

I thought the author was an AI

there is no I in this thread.

Reply 79 of 118, by Munx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
wierd_w wrote on 2024-06-12, 10:47:

The only real reason to delid ANYTHING, would be some unlabeled mystery chip that came from a company or foundry that does not exist anymore, and you *Really* **REALLY* need to reverse engineer it super bad.

Actually, (and ironically, I guess?), one of the few generations of CPUs that might need deliding in the near future to function properly are Intels 3'rd gen I-series, since they did not fuse the CPU to the heat-spreader and used crappy thermal paste instead that dries out really fast.

My builds!
The FireStarter 2.0 - The wooden K5
The Underdog - The budget K6
The Voodoo powerhouse - The power-hungry K7
The troll PC - The Socket 423 Pentium 4