VOGONS

Covox Sound Master Reverse Engineering / Replica

Topic actions

Reply 260 of 262, by Physikant

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Of course I learned a lot from what fagear did and it especially helped with the GAL code. Without fagear, this would have been a lot harder. My only motivation was getting the card, not earning money. Im selling my spare, not a product. So yes, I profited from fagear here, but not financially. Big thanks to him!

Oh by the way fagear: it looks like your assumption of BASE+0x04 and BASE+0x05 for the joystick is wrong. The 1989 version of sim city supports covox sound master joystick, but never reads these addresses when configured to work with it.
My copy of the CSM works flawlessly with your (really nice!) testing tool, but not with sim city when it comes down to joystick support.

Reply 261 of 262, by Fagear

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Physikant wrote on 2024-06-15, 13:51:

it looks like your assumption of BASE+0x04 and BASE+0x05 for the joystick is wrong. The 1989 version of sim city supports covox sound master joystick, but never reads these addresses when configured to work with it.

Hmmm, interesting. I didn't find any game to test joysticks with, so I've never tested those ports anywhere except my own tool.
Thanks, I'll look into Sim city for testing.

Physikant wrote on 2024-06-15, 13:51:

My copy of the CSM works flawlessly with your (really nice!) testing tool

Nice!

New BIG soundcard: FMonster.
Covox Sound Master replica
Innovation SSI-2001 replica & DuoSID.
My audio/video collection.

Reply 262 of 262, by Benedikt

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

By the way:
Is anybody here interested in untested SN76489 to AY-3-891x parameter conversion code?
Both my AY-3-891x hardware projects, a compact AY-LPT and a Mindscape Music Board compatible, are currently dormant, but I already have some code.