VOGONS

Reply 220 of 434, by kant explain

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Machine language monitors? Actually they did. It was called DEBUG.

If you're referring to display monitors, that was the beauty of most pc's. You could buy what you wanted. In 1987 I emptied all my piggy banks and bought an NEC Multisymc II. As all I had at that point was a Tandy 2000, and didn't want to spend big bucks on a CM-1 (T2K specific), I got that. By 1990 I think I bougjt a cheapo vga card, installed it in my ITT Xtra XP (80286). My NEC was a very wise investment.

Reply 221 of 434, by Scali

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

More specifically, IBM included 'Cassette BASIC' in their ROM. From DOS you could start BASIC.COM, which was also known as 'Diskette BASIC', which extended the ROM BASIC with extra disk routines and other functionality.
Then they developed Advanced BASIC, known as BASICA.COM, which added extra sound and graphics functionality to diskette BASIC.
Clones couldn't run BASIC or BASICA because IBM had the copyright on the BASIC ROM, so clones could not include it.
So Microsoft developed a version of BASICA that did not depend on a ROM, that is what GW-BASIC is.

http://scalibq.wordpress.com/just-keeping-it- … ro-programming/

Reply 222 of 434, by kant explain

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Quick Basic is 1 of my favorite products of that period. You could take your basic know how (that I originally developed on trs-80) and use it to build compiled executables. Basic in general gets a bad rap. The thing is everyone knew it. QB wasnkind of cheap also. 69 or 99 usd (cheap enough). Microsoft Basic compiler was hundreds. You can get qb on vetusware or winworld. I have scanned manuals for 3 and 4.5.

Reply 223 of 434, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ThinkpadIL wrote on 2023-10-04, 18:19:
kant explain wrote on 2023-10-04, 18:12:

BASIC was in rom on IBM computers. Graphic extensions were loaded from disk with BASICA (Advanced BASIC). Name 2 8088/8086/80186 based desktops that didn't come with GW-BASIC.

A cartridge is an extension of what the computer comes with. No C64 came with graphics primitives, nor Simon's Basic. PCs did all of them. BASIC/BASICA or GW-BASIC.

If you're talking about IBM PC computers, then what about monitors? They also didn't come with the computer. 🙂

Actually, the monochrome TTL monitors were very cheaply to produce.
They were less complicated than a black/white TV or a VBS video monitor.

The MDA and Hercules cards were basically directly driving the CRT tube.
An Hercules monitor is just a power supply, a chassis, lots of air and a CRT tube.

That's why third-party TTL monochrome monitors were among the cheapest in the catalog.
With the exception of amber and "paper white" models, maybe, since their tubes were more rare.
But IBM wasn't IBM if it would not ask for a premium for its 5151 monitor.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 224 of 434, by ThinkpadIL

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jo22 wrote on 2023-10-04, 18:34:
Actually, the monochrome TTL monitors were very cheaply to produce. They were less complicated than a black/white TV or a VBS vi […]
Show full quote
kant explain wrote on 2023-10-04, 18:12:

BASIC was in rom on IBM computers. Graphic extensions were loaded from disk with BASICA (Advanced BASIC). Name 2 8088/8086/80186 based desktops that didn't come with GW-BASIC.

A cartridge is an extension of what the computer comes with. No C64 came with graphics primitives, nor Simon's Basic. PCs did all of them. BASIC/BASICA or GW-BASIC.

If you're talking about IBM PC computers, then what about monitors? They also didn't come with the computer. 🙂

An Hercules monitor is just a power supply, a chassis, lots of air and a CRT tube.

That's why third-party TTL monochrome monitors were among the cheapest in the catalog.
With the exception of amber and "paper white" models, maybe, since their tubes were more rare.

My point is that almost any computer was sold as sort of a kit so it's pointless to argue regarding add-ons saying that they weren't part of the computer.

Reply 225 of 434, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
kant explain wrote on 2023-10-04, 18:26:

Machine language monitors? Actually they did. It was called DEBUG.

Ah yes, I remember that term. 😃
The Sharp MZ series didn't have BASIC in ROM ("clean computer" design), but a MONITOR program.
It was a mixture of an IPL (initial program loader; basically a boot loader) and a simple debugger.

A very basic kind of firmware, so to say, a predecessor to the BIOS.
It was limited on purpose, in order to not waste RAM/ROM space.

kant explain wrote on 2023-10-04, 18:26:

If you're referring to display monitors, that was the beauty of most pc's. You could buy what you wanted. In 1987 I emptied all my piggy banks and bought an NEC Multisymc II. As all I had at that point was a Tandy 2000, and didn't want to spend big bucks on a CM-1 (T2K specific), I got that. By 1990 I think I bougjt a cheapo vga card, installed it in my ITT Xtra XP (80286). My NEC was a very wise investment.

That's cool! I love Multisync monitors! 😎👍
Though I also was happy with my Commodore 1702 monitor. It was my Nintendo monitor (NES/SNES) in the 90s..

Speaking of Commodore, the C128D could do EGA!
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ES4eBcKxmE4

It could be connected to an RGB monitor, thus. The real C64 used S-Video (Chroma/Luma) by comparison.

In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 226 of 434, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ThinkpadIL wrote on 2023-10-04, 18:48:
Actually, the monochrome TTL monitors were very cheaply to produce. They were less complicated than a black/white TV or a VBS vi […]
Show full quote

My point is that almost any computer was sold as sort of a kit so it's pointless to argue regarding add-ons saying that they weren't part of the computer.

The Amstrad/Schneider PC 1512 and PC 1640 were complete sets/bundles, however.
Since the PSU was in the monitor, PC and monitor were always sold together.

Keyboard and mouse were included, too.
5,25" Disk drives, as well. And the software (MS-DOS 3.2, GW-BASIC, DOS Plus, GEM).

But to be fair, there were two types of monitors to choose from (mono/colour).
The MFM fixed-disk was an option, I think.
And the Amstrad was more of an exception, maybe. Albeit a quite popular in Europe.

Though the Commodore 128D shipped with a fine internal 5,25" disk drive, as well.
It could read both GCR and MFM encoded media, I vaguely remember.

The Macintosh usually was an all-in-one system, also.
I had everything needed right from the start.

//My video channel//

Reply 227 of 434, by kant explain

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Not everything has to be included. Some products are just more sensibly equipped from the getgo.

I bought an unknown graphics card from a big time collector a number of years ago. He didn't even know what it was. Turms out it's Number9 Revolution. Virtually no one knows or cares, but it was an early higjh end graphics card. Very rare. I went poking around for drivers. Turns out you had to write your own!! It didn't come with any. So it sits there, in a bag, in a box. Yeah someday I'll get around to it.

Reply 228 of 434, by ThinkpadIL

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jo22 wrote on 2023-10-04, 18:59:
The Amstrad/Schneider PC 1512 and PC 1640 were complete sets/bundles, however. Since the PSU was in the monitor, PC and monitor […]
Show full quote
Show full quote

5,25" Disk drives, as well. And the software (MS-DOS 3.2, GW-BASIC, DOS Plus, GEM).

And the Amstrad was more of an exception, maybe. Albeit a quite popular in Europe.

Though the Commodore 128D shipped with a fine internal 5,25" disk drive, as well.

And what about a printer? Did it come with a printer?

Don't know how about your Amstrads PC 1512 and PC 1640, my Epson HX-20 came with a printer which was actually a part of the unit. 😋

Reply 229 of 434, by ThinkpadIL

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kant explain wrote on 2023-10-04, 19:04:

Not everything has to be included. Some products are just more sensibly equipped from the getgo...

You're right. IBM PC is pretty complete without a monitor ... 😄

Reply 230 of 434, by kant explain

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

And that's quite a feat. It didn't even need a monitor to be pretty complete! LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL

Reply 231 of 434, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ThinkpadIL wrote on 2023-10-04, 19:04:
Jo22 wrote on 2023-10-04, 18:59:
The Amstrad/Schneider PC 1512 and PC 1640 were complete sets/bundles, however. Since the PSU was in the monitor, PC and monitor […]
Show full quote

And what about a printer? Did it come with a printer?

Don't know how about your Amstrads PC 1512 and PC 1640, my Epson HX-20 came with a printer which was actually a part of the unit. 😋

Good point! 😁

Nah, the Amstrad didn't ship with a printer - except for the Amstrad "Joyce" PCW, maybe.

But that was an CP/M based wordprocessor PC with the printer logic built-in (the printer itself was just mechanics/basic electronics).
A few adventure games from Magnetic Scrolls were released for it, too.

My Sharp MZ-700 had an internal plotter, though (I had the MZ-731 model).
With 4 colours! Wahoo! 😃

But that's another story. The Sharps were nice 8-Bit "PCs", albeit not so well suited for playing games.

The text font was pretty versatile, though. The game graphics were made as if they were based on tiles, essentially.
It had over 500 characters, more than what the IBM PC with Codepage 437 had to offer.
Edit: https://original.sharpmz.org/mz-700/colorvram.htm

If the screen was 80 character wide and if it had a NEC V20 instead of a Z80 processor, it would have made a fine MS-DOS compatible PC..

Anyway, the successor Sharp MZ-800 and MZ-1500 had CGA-ish graphics, at least.
640x200 mono hires, for example. So there was progress..

It's just a bit sad that there was no desktop counterpart in same way as there was with the C64/C128D, maybe with an integrated Quick Drive.

That's were Commodore did better, I think.
The C128D design was both elegant and humble. Like the Braun SK2 tube radio, I think.
No wonder the Amiga 1000 had used it later on.

Likewise, the Amiga 2000 had re-used the chassis of the CBM 900, an equally professional PC.

Oh, and I also used the Commodore 1702 monitor with the Sharp back then.
Both were working exceptionally well together.

//My video channel//

Reply 232 of 434, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That being said, the C64 really was an useful tool for other hobbies.
- That's how it sneaked into their daily lifes.

For example, this guy made a connection to the ISS by using a C64 and a Paccom TINY-2 (a multimode TNC or PTC).

The attachment c64_iss.jpg is no longer available

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJVU1stPPlQ

It rather made big news in the press about two years ago. 🙂👍

Here's a simpler RTTY inference for the radio hobbyist of the day.
It made the C64 the main attraction in the shack. The mission control center, so to say.

The attachment swl-test_aea_c64_retroport_0228large29.jpg is no longer available
The attachment computer_patch_interface_cp-1_0328large29.jpg is no longer available

Source: https://retroport.de/hardware-r-s/

Personally, these are the things that I find fascinating.
How things affected lifes of individual people.
Seeing them so happy and dedicated with something gives me a warm, fuzzy feeling and hope for humanity.

It's also why I liked watching Star Trek or BattleStar Galactica (70s) since when I was young, that positive vibe.
In these dystopian days we're living currently, it's a welcomed change.

An them people knowing about obsolete things is better than knowing nothing, at all.
Because, more than often, principles can be derived, even if the knowledge is outdated.
So no kind of knowledge is truly a waste.

//My video channel//

Reply 233 of 434, by ThinkpadIL

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jo22 wrote on 2023-10-04, 21:25:
That being said, the C64 really was an useful tool for other hobbies. - That's how it sneaked into their daily lifes. […]
Show full quote

That being said, the C64 really was an useful tool for other hobbies.
- That's how it sneaked into their daily lifes.

For example, this guy made a connection to the ISS by using a C64 and a Paccom TINY-2 (a multimode TNC or PTC).

c64_iss.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJVU1stPPlQ

It rather made big news in the press about two years ago. 🙂👍

Here's a simpler RTTY inference for the radio hobbyist of the day.
It made the C64 the main attraction in the shack. The mission control center, so to say.

swl-test_aea_c64_retroport_0228large29.jpg

computer_patch_interface_cp-1_0328large29.jpg

Source: https://retroport.de/hardware-r-s/

Personally, these are the things that I find fascinating.
How things affected lifes of individual people.
Seeing them so happy and dedicated with something gives me a warm, fuzzy feeling and hope for humanity.

It's also why I liked watching Star Trek or BattleStar Galactica (70s) since when I was young, that positive vibe.
In these dystopian days we're living currently, it's a welcomed change.

An them people knowing about obsolete things is better than knowing nothing, at all.
Because, more than often, principles can be derived, even if the knowledge is outdated.
So no kind of knowledge is truly a waste.

Well, today if you're a hobbyist, you can manage to utilize for this purpose even a vacuum cleaner. 😄

By the way, when taking a look at all those late 70's and early 90's computers I have a strong feeling that only IBM knew how to develop a real computer over the years, and all the rest were just bunch of hobbyist who were constantly experimenting and then businessmen like Jack Tramiel tried all their best to sell the results of their experiments to the masses without giving a damn of what will they do with them after buying.

Reply 234 of 434, by kant explain

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Jo22 wrote on 2023-10-04, 19:27:

The 1702 was a beautiful monitor, and worked exceptionally well as a (live) video monitor. The one I have presently has a lot of burn:(. I want to stick something else in it's casement. And 3d print a door.

Reply 235 of 434, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ThinkpadIL wrote on 2023-10-04, 22:16:

Well, today if you're a hobbyist, you can manage to utilize for this purpose even a vacuum cleaner. 😄

Well, yes and no. It depends. Purely technically, it's correct, likely.

Back in the 90s/2000s, I still thought that technology and appliances would steadily evolve.

But then I realized that it's merely miniaturization of microelectronics.
Other genres weren't affected so much. New energy sources, neither.

All other aspects decreased over that time, rather.
Built-quality, most importantly.

Old appliances were built like tanks, with lots of safety measures.
Now everything is more and more flimsy.
Microwave oven, the fridgerator, thr coffee machine, the mixer. All made of thin plastic/aluminium .

LED bulbs quickly break, because their "power supply" does not handle power surges (just a diode, no caps).

Our German (West-German) Krupp mixer is from the 1970(s) and still works fine, by comparison.
The plastic is robust (not yellowed), the gears are made of metal, the electric motor is in a steel chassis..

And the list goes on. My father's Siemens B/W TV is from the 1970s,too, and still works fine. The picture isn't wobbling or something.
With an internal ~50 years old power supply and no re-cap.

Same goes for our radios.
That old Stabo XF base station (CB) from the early 80s is still fine, no re-cap, either.

Or that Yaesu FT-101 shortwave transceiver..
It's made of full metal, has a very sensitive receiver and a modular design (individual transceiver circuits are on ISA-like cards).

By comparison, all modern radio tech is just.. small and black.
As if Darth Vader himself had built it.. 😂

On top of it, it's just cheaply made. Low quality plastics, tiny soldered SMD components, coils with a poor Q factor.
But sold for the 1000s.

Personally, I've decided to just drop out of this cheap consumerism.
I love the hobby, but I keep tinkering with 1970s/80s tech here.

I'd rather restore a vintage radio and make it more modern (tapping intermediate frequency, IF, so an SDR+computer can display the spectrum and decode things).

Anyway, DIY had always been a part of that hobby, so that's a non-issue (thinking positive).

Edit: To be fair, it's not all black and white.
Quality equipment is still being made, just not for the masses, the "consumers" (= business term for non-people, exploitable creatues).

If we're looking at the professional market or the military, we can still see quality products.
In terms of quality, they do equal products previously sold to private customers years ago.

IMHO It's just that mass production is nolonger good. It's not possible anymore. Too many people for too few resources.
Also, customers/consumers apparently don't care and complain about it. So industry adapts accordingly.

(Edit: It's not just electronics. It's also plastic bottles, beds, furniture, clothes..
Manufacturing quality has degraded for years, but it really sped up in 21th century.
Just think of wooden furniture. It used to be real wood, then plywood, now it's pressboard (garbage+glue). And maybe it's cardboard in the next years, who knows.
The problem is also that this makes repairing at home very difficult.
Back in the day, a wooden board and a nail could be used to fix a real wooden furniture or a broken window.
Likewise, a defective computer board could be repaired. Even that of an C64. On a kitchen table with simple tools.
And that's something that's depressing, I think. It takes a way a bit of independence.)

When was the last time a mechanical keyboard was sold in a PC store? In 1994?
Nowadays keyboards, PCs and peripherals sold in stores are generally of lowest build quality.

The few PC users or hi-fi fans left who need quality have to seek out for small niche companies who still make quality products.
Of course, they ask for a matching compensation. But as a reward, their products will last, at least.

ThinkpadIL wrote on 2023-10-04, 22:16:

By the way, when taking a look at all those late 70's and early 90's computers I have a strong feeling that only IBM knew how to develop a real computer over the years, and all the rest were just bunch of hobbyist who were constantly experimenting and then businessmen like Jack Tramiel tried all their best to sell the results of their experiments to the masses without giving a damn of what will they do with them after buying.

That mister was very unique, I suppose.
If I understood correctly he worked at Commodore and got the C64 on market, then he went to Atari, getting the Atari ST on market.
But before he left Commodore, he insulted/alienated all the business partners to make sure Commodore would be hated and collapse?
That's a really charming character trait, considering that man's backstory.. 😇

PCs.. I think there were quite a few good ones.
The graphical workstations by SGI and Sun, for example.
Or the Acorn Archimedes, an Amiga competitor from the UK, which was barely being advertised by Acorn on European mainland.
Or PC-98 series in Japan. Sharp X68000, too.

Technically, there were a few more for sure, but they don't come to mind right now.
Like the countless MS-DOS compatibles from the early 1980s.
They ran MS-DOS, but didn't copy IBM. Some like the Sirius 1/Victor 9000 were superior, even.

What IBM helped was the fact that it had an excellent reputation as a typewriter company, maybe.
Offices had been its customers from before microccomputers had existed.

kant explain wrote on 2023-10-04, 23:22:
Jo22 wrote on 2023-10-04, 19:27:

The 1702 was a beautiful monitor, and worked exceptionally well as a (live) video monitor. The one I have presently has a lot of burn:(. I want to stick something else in it's casement. And 3d print a door.

I agree, it was a descent composite video monitor. 😃👍
I assume it had analogue comb filters, too, but I haven't double checked.

The image quality was good enough that it was used in broadcast industry occasionally , as a control monitor in the TV studio.
As a semi-professional equipment.

It also had Chroma/Luma ports on the back, but..
Well, at least my 1702 wasn't that great on doing S-Video (maybe also because of different voltages due to Chroma/Luma inputs) .
S-Video input was very grainy, almost noisy. Composite was descent, though.

Still, I'm kind of confused why these monitors are so glorified/hyped nowadays.
I mean, I still highly value the 1702, but other monitors aren't necessarily worse at doing composite.

What I miss are the control knobs on the front, rather than image quality.
That way, I could correct the image height of my PAL NES/SNES (remove so called PAL border).

And it's not that a 1084 is necessarily worse as a companion for a C64.
Yes, the 170x was the original model. But the C64 does barely take full advantage of its qualities, anyway.

Attaching a VHS player to the Commodore 170x isn't a bad choice, either.
I did this in the 90s and watched a lot of classics on it.
The comb filter did a good work at providing a smooth picture. 🙂

Edit: I really had a VHS "player" here, btw.
It was no VCR because it lacked recording and an RF tuner. It really was a humble player (top loader), about the size of a Super NES (a big taller and wider).

//My video channel//

Reply 236 of 434, by ThinkpadIL

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jo22 wrote on 2023-10-05, 04:12:

Old appliances were built like tanks, with lots of safety measures.
Now everything is more and more flimsy.
Microwave oven, the fridgerator, thr coffee machine, the mixer. All made of thin plastic/aluminium .

Ashes to ashes, dust to dust . Yes, it seems that in the future eBay will be forced to go out of business cause there will be nothing to sell. 😄

Jo22 wrote on 2023-10-05, 04:12:
That mister was very unique, I suppose. If I understood correctly he worked at Commodore and got the C64 on market, then he wen […]
Show full quote

That mister was very unique, I suppose.
If I understood correctly he worked at Commodore and got the C64 on market, then he went to Atari, getting the Atari ST on market.
But before he left Commodore, he insulted/alienated all the business partners to make sure Commodore would be hated and collapse?
That's a really charming character trait, considering that man's backstory.. 😇

Well, he was a businessmen and as a businessmen he didn't care what and to whom to sell, so we can't blame him for that.

Reply 237 of 434, by Scali

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I actually think it's interesting how the early 80s were more or less a "race to the bottom" in terms of cost reduction for computers.
I think the C64 was such a major success because it already started out at a very competitive price point for a computer with 64k of memory (which was a lot in 1982 when it came out), and its prices got slashed to an incredible amount over the next few years, by redesiging the circuit board a few times, making it an absolute bargain.

The IBM PC 5150 on the other hand never received much of a cost reduction over the years. It only received one motherboard revision during its lifetime, where the only relevant change was to support higher density memory chips, which meant that it moved from supporting 64k max to supporting 256k max.
Likewise, the PC/XT 5160 was mostly based on the 5150 board design, and didn't bother to reduce component count or cost in other ways during its lifetime.

The design used a big heavy metal case with sturdy power supply and fan. Which may have been appropriate for industrial environments, but it was way overengineered for office and home environments.

So I rather liked it when IBM made the PCjr. They applied various ideas from computers like the C64 to get the cost down. They integrated most things on the board now, such as graphics, floppy controller, serial and parallel ports, joystick port and whatnot. You needed separate ISA cards for ALL these things in a regular PC.
They moved from an internal to an external PSU, which no longer required a fan.
They also used a plastic case instead of metal, which was smaller, lighter and cheaper, while still being sturdy enough for office and home environments.
The PCjr also 'cheated' by not including certain features that most PC/XT clones had: it had no DMA functionality, no internal ISA slots, and no harddisk controller.

IBM designed a "Video Gate Array" chip (yes "VGA") that integrated most of the logic for a CGA-compatible graphics controller in a single chip, which is why they could get the graphics integrated on the mainboard, where a CGA card was a full-size ISA card.
Other clones would take this even further. The PCjr still used the same discrete chips as the original IBM PC for the rest of the system. The Tandy 1000 was one of the first PC compatibles that started integrating many of the standard chips for the PC platform in a single chip. That meant you could make even smaller, simpler motherboards, and integrate even more things on board.

I think one of the nicest examples of this integration are the Atari PC1 and the Commodore PC-1 (remarkably similar names for remarkably similar machines).
They integrated a complete XT-compatible machine in a very small box.

The attachment 4325630123_09c359a9c6_b.jpg is no longer available
The attachment pc1_front.jpg is no longer available

The Tandy 1000EX is another nice compact and cost-effective design.

The attachment Dvshdd-VAAAs9jA.jpg is no longer available

http://scalibq.wordpress.com/just-keeping-it- … ro-programming/

Reply 238 of 434, by ThinkpadIL

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Scali wrote on 2023-10-05, 08:03:
I actually think it's interesting how the early 80s were more or less a "race to the bottom" in terms of cost reduction for comp […]
Show full quote

I actually think it's interesting how the early 80s were more or less a "race to the bottom" in terms of cost reduction for computers.
I think the C64 was such a major success because it already started out at a very competitive price point for a computer with 64k of memory (which was a lot in 1982 when it came out), and its prices got slashed to an incredible amount over the next few years, by redesiging the circuit board a few times, making it an absolute bargain.

The IBM PC 5150 on the other hand never received much of a cost reduction over the years. It only received one motherboard revision during its lifetime, where the only relevant change was to support higher density memory chips, which meant that it moved from supporting 64k max to supporting 256k max.
Likewise, the PC/XT 5160 was mostly based on the 5150 board design, and didn't bother to reduce component count or cost in other ways during its lifetime.

In countries with a normal economy It's always been a "race to the bottom" in terms of cost reduction when it was about products for the masses (Ford T is a great example). On the other hand, take a look at Fluke multimeters, they are expensive as hell even today and that's because they are built not for home use, but for business use where reliability is very important.

The design used a big heavy metal case with sturdy power supply and fan. Which may have been appropriate for industrial environments, but it was way overengineered for office and home environments.

It wasn't overengineered and there is no problem with a metal case. Take a look at a modern Lenovo Thinkcentre M93 for example - it is small, it is cost effective and it comes in a metal case. And on the other hand, take a look at Commodore 128 power brick - it's huge! There is no reason to pull it out of the case. Opposite, when it is inside a case it is more compact (and more reliable - less wires).

So I rather liked it when IBM made the PCjr. They applied various ideas from computers like the C64 to get the cost down. They i […]
Show full quote

So I rather liked it when IBM made the PCjr. They applied various ideas from computers like the C64 to get the cost down. They integrated most things on the board now, such as graphics, floppy controller, serial and parallel ports, joystick port and whatnot. You needed separate ISA cards for ALL these things in a regular PC.
They moved from an internal to an external PSU, which no longer required a fan.
They also used a plastic case instead of metal, which was smaller, lighter and cheaper, while still being sturdy enough for office and home environments.
The PCjr also 'cheated' by not including certain features that most PC/XT clones had: it had no DMA functionality, no internal ISA slots, and no harddisk controller.

Everything great about PCjr, but there is one small problem - it is not fully IBM PC compatible so it goes to a recycle bin.

IBM designed a "Video Gate Array" chip (yes "VGA") that integrated most of the logic for a CGA-compatible graphics controller in […]
Show full quote

IBM designed a "Video Gate Array" chip (yes "VGA") that integrated most of the logic for a CGA-compatible graphics controller in a single chip, which is why they could get the graphics integrated on the mainboard, where a CGA card was a full-size ISA card.
Other clones would take this even further. The PCjr still used the same discrete chips as the original IBM PC for the rest of the system. The Tandy 1000 was one of the first PC compatibles that started integrating many of the standard chips for the PC platform in a single chip. That meant you could make even smaller, simpler motherboards, and integrate even more things on board.

I think one of the nicest examples of this integration are the Atari PC1 and the Commodore PC-1 (remarkably similar names for remarkably similar machines).
They integrated a complete XT-compatible machine in a very small box.
4325630123_09c359a9c6_b.jpgpc1_front.jpg
The Tandy 1000EX is another nice compact and cost-effective design.
Dvshdd-VAAAs9jA.jpg

And what about IBM PC 5140 Convertible? It is also quite small and it even has a detachable LCD and more progressive 3.5" FDD and it also came out earlies than both the Atari PC1 and the Commodore PC-1.

Reply 239 of 434, by kant explain

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've told this story elsewhere. The very first Atari PC was nothing more then a vanilla pc case and who knows what under the hood. Years ago, probably 2003 or 2004 there was such an item on ebay.ca. i was thinking of buying it, I balked. And it wasn't a lot of money. Others have speculated it was just a pc with an Atari badge used in their offices. Others say it was just a fugazi (fake). I can't see why someone would try to fake something like that. But who knows. Maybe it was a prototype..