Reply 1240 of 1292, by pshipkov

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Micronics 386 motherboard.
Minor battery leak was fixed.
The 2-3 lines got reconnected.
Had to remove the top ISA slot to be able to trace them propetly.
BIOS gives one long one shot one long one short beeps, no repetition.

Wont have more time to deal with it.
Feels close.
If somebody wants to thinker with it - let me know.

retro bits and bytes

Reply 1241 of 1292, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
pshipkov wrote on 2024-05-27, 17:58:
Micronics 386 motherboard. Minor battery leak was fixed. The 2-3 lines got reconnected. Had to remove the top ISA slot to be abl […]
Show full quote

Feels close.

Have you tried a POST card or checked the tantalums? I'm tempted to grab it because it looks like a great 386 board, but I'm not sure if I'd be up to the task of diagnosing it beyond those troubleshooting steps.

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 1242 of 1292, by kingcake

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Ozzuneoj wrote on 2024-05-28, 02:39:
pshipkov wrote on 2024-05-27, 17:58:
Micronics 386 motherboard. Minor battery leak was fixed. The 2-3 lines got reconnected. Had to remove the top ISA slot to be abl […]
Show full quote

Feels close.

Have you tried a POST card or checked the tantalums? I'm tempted to grab it because it looks like a great 386 board, but I'm not sure if I'd be up to the task of diagnosing it beyond those troubleshooting steps.

It would be fairly obvious if a tantalum was shorted

Reply 1243 of 1292, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Can they short without exploding?

Reply 1244 of 1292, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Kahenraz wrote on 2024-05-28, 03:56:

Yes, they can fail open or fail short, and they can explode, fizzle\smoke or have no visible or audible failure. It's honestly pretty uncommon for any of those to happen from my experience, but with a board this old in such clean condition (barely used from the looks of it) it is more likely.

I just asked because that is something I would check if it hasn't been done already.

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 1245 of 1292, by kingcake

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Ozzuneoj wrote on 2024-05-28, 04:06:
Kahenraz wrote on 2024-05-28, 03:56:

Yes, they can fail open or fail short, and they can explode, fizzle\smoke or have no visible or audible failure. It's honestly pretty uncommon for any of those to happen from my experience, but with a board this old in such clean condition (barely used from the looks of it) it is more likely.

I just asked because that is something I would check if it hasn't been done already.

I have never seen one fail open. Ever. If it did, it wouldn't even be noticeable or cause a problem anyway, so that's a moot point to even bring up. If shorted it would absolutely smoke, unless the PSU tripped it's overcurrent and turned off. In either case, as I said, it would be extremely noticeable.

Reply 1246 of 1292, by pshipkov

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If they short you will see and hear it. : )

I had POST card once but it rarely reported anything meaningful. It broke at some point later. Never got new one. Sorry.
The board is otherwise in very good condition. The problem can be something trivial, or not so.
My expectation for quick fix didn’t happen unfortunately.

retro bits and bytes

Reply 1247 of 1292, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

While sometimes POST cards seem no more helpful than a "Magic 8 ball" or going through a box of fortune cookies, I have found them more useful than I ever thought they would be, even with a a weird BIOS you can't get POST code table for, purely relying on "make number go bigger" mode. It seems to be universal that the early codes are related to the core of the system, CPU/RAM, the middle codes the chipset and bare essentials and the later codes more to do with i/o and peripherals. So it kind of transforms fault finding from a kind of "Blind man's buff" game in like a massive empty warehouse with unknown number of participants, ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blind_man%27s_buff ) to a game of "Marco Polo" which is in the confines of a pool and players have to call out "Polo" so you know they are there. In the first instance, it's easy to get frustrated and give up because you know very little about the number of issues to resolve. In the second you go kinda voice by voice and clear everything. If you get bogged down with a stubborn unknown fault code with unknown BIOS revision, you can "take votes" from all the code tables you can find, and drill down from most common specific issue to least, and it is probably gonna be one of those. All in all though, make number go bigger, you're fixing stuff, not completely in the dark, and eventually you get there.

edit: Actually, you can do better with an unknown revision if you use your early codes found to "narrow down the tree" of code tables that match, so by the time you're on your 3rd or 4th fault to clear you have one or two code tables that seem to match everything, and if a 5th code shows up, kapow, headshot, no messing around.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 1248 of 1292, by pshipkov

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Board is claimed.
---
Nodded in agreement with BitWrangler.
They can be helpful in some cases, or at least aid the process somewhat, but i find them a bit of a thin sauce. Not a must-have item.

retro bits and bytes

Reply 1249 of 1292, by magicmanred

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Anyone interested in AudioPCI sound cards? ES1370, ES1371, ES1373 chips?

Reply 1250 of 1292, by nfraser01

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
magicmanred wrote on 2024-05-29, 20:19:

Hi. Are you USA, Europe or elsewhere?

Reply 1254 of 1292, by nfraser01

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
magicmanred wrote on 2024-05-30, 18:55:

Thanks for asking! Made me realize I should update my profile so that it shows my location which I just did 😀

Me too!

Reply 1255 of 1292, by demiurge

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I do collect PCI soundcards and I am missing the ES1371 version in the original ES form--I have the Creative branded version though.

Reply 1256 of 1292, by kingcake

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
pshipkov wrote on 2024-05-28, 19:49:
Board is claimed. --- Nodded in agreement with BitWrangler. They can be helpful in some cases, or at least aid the process somew […]
Show full quote

Board is claimed.
---
Nodded in agreement with BitWrangler.
They can be helpful in some cases, or at least aid the process somewhat, but i find them a bit of a thin sauce. Not a must-have item.

Yep I mostly use them to answer the question "is the CPU executing code" -- Unless you want to spend time disassembling the BIOS to see how the tests are being done, it can often be a red herring trying to chase a specific POST code.

Reply 1257 of 1292, by Mr.Batmensch

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
nezwick wrote on 2024-04-01, 21:17:

CRT was picked up

386 parts PC and Fujitsu HDD from a couple posts back are still available

is the 386 box still available?

Reply 1258 of 1292, by magicmanred

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
demiurge wrote on 2024-05-31, 02:20:

I do collect PCI soundcards and I am missing the ES1371 version in the original ES form--I have the Creative branded version though.

Did you want my ES1371? Or is it not the Creative branded version you're looking for?
ES1373 may be spoken for...

Reply 1259 of 1292, by pshipkov

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

a neighbor is letting go of these.
anyone interested ?

retro bits and bytes