The Soundblaster DSP project

Topic actions

Reply 1060 of 1068, by marcushg85

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
MadLynx wrote on 2024-06-22, 10:45:
marcushg85 wrote on 2024-06-22, 10:20:

Hi and thanks to all who are contributing to this project. I've been following it for some time and after receiving some 89c52 chips I flashed the modded firmware bin 413 patch 5 and installed them (without a socket) on two 2290 cards I had. Can't make any of both cards to work now! Sbcheck doesn't detect them and diagnose gives some error.. any ideas? Both cards behave just the same.
I'm using them in a k6-3+ 600mhz on mvp3 board

If the chips came from China than you should've double check if they flashed correctly. Chinese sellers OFTEN sell you scrapped ICs and there very likely be several bad blocks that can't be written.

Yes... they were recycled and came from China. Rewrote them a couple of times and also tried to erase them first. They both work and we're verified with no errors

EDIT: Desoldered the chips, verified them and flashed them again and resoldered them... Now both cards work! dsp 4.13 found

Last edited by marcushg85 on 2024-06-22, 16:47. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1062 of 1068, by marcushg85

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

now another question, I only found the 4.13 patched... I also have a ct1740 and a CT2740. the question is... can I upgrade the ct2740 that comes with 4.11 version with 4.13 patched? and... should the ct1740 be modded even it doesn't have the hanging note bug?
I was wondering too if 4.17/4.16 mod can be flashed on a card that came with 4.13 and if there would be any benefits on doing so

Reply 1063 of 1068, by Thermalwrong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If the chips aren't fresh from the factory, mine weren't, then try resoldering the pins on the PLCC. You could also pull the chip back off and check whether it tests okay on the programmer, I assume it's a TL866? I had to take 2 tries to get the PLCC soldered onto my CT2770 (not pictured) because of a short that formed between the legs on the corners and some unsoldered legs.
Not all the pins sat flat on the card, a mix of the DSP chips I'm using not being new, and trying to install the PLCC directly onto pads loaded with some solder. Manually resoldering fixed it though.

From the pictures you've given I personally doubt those are remarked chips, that looks like paint rather than lasering. Also is that an AT89C52-24JC? Remarks would usually uprate to the industrial temp rated 24JI...

Reply 1064 of 1068, by marcushg85

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Thermalwrong wrote on 2024-06-22, 18:13:

If the chips aren't fresh from the factory, mine weren't, then try resoldering the pins on the PLCC. You could also pull the chip back off and check whether it tests okay on the programmer, I assume it's a TL866? I had to take 2 tries to get the PLCC soldered onto my CT2770 (not pictured) because of a short that formed between the legs on the corners and some unsoldered legs.
Not all the pins sat flat on the card, a mix of the DSP chips I'm using not being new, and trying to install the PLCC directly onto pads loaded with some solder. Manually resoldering fixed it though.

From the pictures you've given I personally doubt those are remarked chips, that looks like paint rather than lasering. Also is that an AT89C52-24JC? Remarks would usually uprate to the industrial temp rated 24JI...

Yes. They're AT89c52-24jc after resoldering them got them to work.
Now I want to try to fix the ct2740 but I'm not sure if the patched 4.13 can be used with that one as it came with 4.11
Now I need to try the dream blaster module with those... Even I use an Orpheus in my main rig I might have an older setup with all original period correct parts

Reply 1065 of 1068, by Thermalwrong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
marcushg85 wrote on 2024-06-22, 18:36:
Yes. They're AT89c52-24jc after resoldering them got them to work. Now I want to try to fix the ct2740 but I'm not sure if the […]
Show full quote

Yes. They're AT89c52-24jc after resoldering them got them to work.
Now I want to try to fix the ct2740 but I'm not sure if the patched 4.13 can be used with that one as it came with 4.11
Now I need to try the dream blaster module with those... Even I use an Orpheus in my main rig I might have an older setup with all original period correct parts

Yay 😁 Congrats on getting it working.
I had a similar quandary with my CT2770 card which has 4.12 - that's working much better now with the 4.13-patched version. Quickest way to test for me was with a game save at the end of level 2 or 3 in doom, that'd mess up the midi with hanging notes in just a few seconds.

Reply 1066 of 1068, by S95Sedan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
marcushg85 wrote on 2024-06-22, 16:51:

now another question, I only found the 4.13 patched... I also have a ct1740 and a CT2740. the question is... can I upgrade the ct2740 that comes with 4.11 version with 4.13 patched? and... should the ct1740 be modded even it doesn't have the hanging note bug?
I was wondering too if 4.17/4.16 mod can be flashed on a card that came with 4.13 and if there would be any benefits on doing so

Cards that dont have 4.04 or 4.05 or 4.16 (By default) have bugs, either Type1 (Alot of hanging notes) or Type2 (minimal hanging notes).
Theres a list for most cards and which type in the 1st post here: Sound Blaster: From best to worst
Best way to test it is with 'hexen -warp 02' or like said above doom e1m3

All cards that use an external CT1741 chip can use version 4.04 <>4.13.
By default 4.16 can cause issues on at least AWE32 cards (As i use that as my testing card), which are mostly fixed in the 4.16patch1 (custom) version, which is a mix of 4.13 with clean-er code/changes from 4.16.

Easiest is just to swipe them with acetone, most new markings come right off if they are remarked.
Which isnt a bad thing per se, but you dont know how they been treated in the past so its kinda hit or miss.

Price china vs mouser is pretty similair so i'd just get them from a reputable source.

Reply 1067 of 1068, by envagyok

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi
At this monent what is the best patched fw to use?
Is any compatibility matrix, for what sb16 or awe32 can be used?