VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by anosse

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I recently bought a KQ Collection with 1-7 on them and can only get KQ1 and 4 going on XP. I've read most of the posts on the websites and the HOW-TO's and can't figure the rest of the series out. I did the best I could with VDMSound...no luck. ANY insight on this would be greatly appreciated.

Windows XP Home Edition
Pentium 3 1000 MHz
512 ram
Mobility Radeon Display Adapter?- Don't know if that matters???

Reply 1 of 2, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by anosse I recently bought a KQ Collection with 1-7 on them and can only get KQ1 and 4 going on XP.

Oh...dear...

I've read most of the posts on the websites and the HOW-TO's and can't figure the rest of the series out. I did the best I could with VDMSound...no luck. ANY insight on this would be greatly appreciated.

Well, if you take a look around here you'll discover that each title is like it's own little mystery...what works for one...won't work for another...

Mobility Radeon Display Adapter?- Don't know if that matters???

It does. VESA issues are a real problem in XP, but IIRC only KQ7 uses DOS VESA.

The other issue is that some DOS titles have problems with Laptop displays (Albion comes right out and says it won't work on any laptop display...). Don’t know if that will be a problem here...

But since I'm losing consciousness...I'll leave you with some links from Quick Search. There aren't any clear-cut guides...partly due to different response on different hardware (what works for me might not work for you):

KQ I,II,III:
showthread.php?threadid=167&highlight=Kings+Quest

Can't think clearly anymore...will try later...

Reply 2 of 2, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

See http://community.vugames.com/WebX?14@13.Z9jRc … dhaR.3@.efeacbb for help on these games. Have you tried the Windows version of 7? The one on that collection is version 2, which should run with out problems on XP, earlier versions will only give an error message.