VOGONS

First post, by Scythifuge

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Greetings,

I have just about finalized my Athlon XP tinkering. I removed an SSD from around 2012 due to lack of TRIM and because I had a couple of mechanical drives lying around, unused - a 1TB and a 750GB (installing every game I have that will run on this system along with my music collection, hehehe,) went with Omega Drivers for Catalyst 7.10 (can't find if there are Omega 7.11 drivers, and the 7.11 drivers available on vogonsdrivers were unstable, wouldn't install on a couple reinstalls of XP, or would install but not start 3d device,) and I ironed out a couple of others issues. The only thing left is to find a 5v 30amp MODULAR PSU because the one I have, while new, is a tangled mess inside a horizontal desktop case, and I plan on getting an internal card reader which can read 128GB+ SD cards. I am also going to swap out the 1gb of RAM with I am hoping to be 4gb of another brand, but the 1gb is fine, for now.

I have an unused Voodoo2 12mb. I simply lack a system to put it in. I have a Voodoo5 in one P3, and a Voodoo3 with a Voodoo1 in the other P3. I *could* put together a P2 system, though I am lacking in space and don't really need it. I supposed I could put it with the Voodoo5, but I don't know if I should do so. At one point, I had a Voodoo5, the Voodoo2, and the Voodoo1 all chained together. It worked, but I needed the slots for other things.

Would there be any benefit to putting this V2 in this X-PC? Are there any games which don't like the X800? Currently, it is in the PC, but I haven't installed drivers as of yet. I have a 27" led monitor from 2010 (a Viewsonic which still looks amazing after all of these years and has a 4:3 mode if it detects one) connected to the DVI port with an HDMI adapter, and the Voodoo2 is passed-through the VGA port (it is an AIW with both ports.) I haven't looked into glide wrappers for a system of this age, and I know some games, like Revenant, can be fickle without a voodoo card (one must go through hell to play the GOG version.) However, if there are no issues to worry about, I would rather not install a driver. Or maybe I would, just because, hehehe.. I don't know; I just hate not finding a use for it. It is an Orchid, and I have never come across another Orchid for sale, and now Voodoo2 pairs are going for half a grand on ebay because the world has gone insane. Maybe if I store the V2 for a few years and the world hasn't been blown to smithereens, I can sell it for a million bucks, going by the price increase trends.

I am seeking opinions with pros and cons. Many thanks!
Scythifuge

Reply 1 of 3, by wirerogue

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Scythifuge wrote on 2024-01-31, 03:01:

though I am lacking in space and don't really need it.

i learned a while ago to just keep building through those troublesome feelings.
they'll only slow you down and you'll just end up building it eventually.
there's always room 1 more... right?

Reply 3 of 3, by Scythifuge

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
wirerogue wrote on 2024-01-31, 03:17:
i learned a while ago to just keep building through those troublesome feelings. they'll only slow you down and you'll just end u […]
Show full quote
Scythifuge wrote on 2024-01-31, 03:01:

though I am lacking in space and don't really need it.

i learned a while ago to just keep building through those troublesome feelings.
they'll only slow you down and you'll just end up building it eventually.
there's always room 1 more... right?

I truly wish. I am tapped out for space, unfortunately. My sanctum has shelving across the windows and walls stacked and packed with CDs, PC game boxes, and classic game consoles, guitars and swords are hanging in every available space, and I haven't figured out how to put the Athlon XP on display as of yet. I will probably put it on one of the glass shelves of my TV/PC display stand since it is a black horizontal case and would look good there, but I can't see those shelves beyond my main desk in the middle of this room. Plus, with the two P3s, a P2 would be redundant. Even an Athlon Xp is a suped up P3, essentially.

My last house was perfect for all of these PCs, but a divorce meant we had to move out into a smaller place. At any rate, I think I am going to go ahead and install the drivers and run some tests. If there are any issues, I'll just wipe and reinstall. I have the latest/"best" drivers for everything and figured out the "perfect" order to install everything. My main issue is that these projects never get finished and I find myself longing to play some games and use some old apps, but some how I end up ever-tinkering. I think that it is a curse.

The Serpent Rider wrote on 2024-01-31, 03:40:

X800 can emulate Glide with better picture quality.

Thank you for this information! Hmmm.... Maybe I won't install the Voodoo2 drivers, then. It adds potential stability or game issues, and if I can emulate glide, that should be good enough. I'll look into the best way to emulate glide for an x800. This is one of my favorite cards I ever had. I had a lot of fun with it during the Athlon XP/WinXP era.