Topic actions

Reply 80 of 95, by zuldan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
4xtx wrote on 2022-05-02, 02:01:

Here's 2 for the collection.

The ES1938MI is currently being used in an EPIA-ITX based project

On the E1938-202 PCI card, do you know what the jumpers do?

Reply 81 of 95, by 4xtx

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
zuldan wrote on 2024-04-30, 08:24:

From recall it was to enable amplification for passive speakers

YT: https://www.youtube.com/@techdistractions

Reply 82 of 95, by zuldan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
4xtx wrote on 2024-05-03, 10:53:
zuldan wrote on 2024-04-30, 08:24:

From recall it was to enable amplification for passive speakers

That’s what I thought it was for but why do you need 2 jumpers for that. That’s a lot of combinations for something that’s on/off. Weird.

Reply 83 of 95, by elszgensa

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You need to do it twice because there's two channels. It's not a "logical on/of" but you route each channel through an amplifier or not. Feel free to do only one jumper - you'll see you'll have only one side amplified. Doing it with a single jumper would've required more components and added costs.

Reply 84 of 95, by zuldan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
elszgensa wrote on 2024-05-03, 11:57:

You need to do it twice because there's two channels. It's not a "logical on/of" but you route each channel through an amplifier or not. Feel free to do only one jumper - you'll see you'll have only one side amplified. Doing it with a single jumper would've required more components and added costs.

Ok that makes perfect sense. Thank you!

Reply 85 of 95, by dancing.sphinx

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi guys! Which one Solo-1 version would you recommend to purchase?
Main interest - ESFM, Win9X, clean recording from Line-out.

Option 1.

1.XH_mvLa48JbQC3Kb0vUbCpAe8pBYHXKA0BDylFYV-JxQ.8Ge5RlMQ5F6ETJi3yiO-lEoq1jJWcaoxKlb7rq6BpuA
1.F-R8i7a4uw1KPDkAXsNQkQopuQvCKjkbSie5D8wiswfK.uejiE2dbk4JgnV8plUDA1sg_RrSEdr0PZCsEyKH7lKc
1.KenEKba4hQDyngcNmm1unLKLhwZ6iAcW8oWHAnSAjQpy.Rfkqiugyz7wxuoR_ldLYTFDcoYUUM3p9gOy7oIU8ygM

Option 2.

1.R3xy5ra465VEUWmYcJ82emRE6ZPMR2mDRErpl8JP45_E.-85Q7Nrh8q6aT5Q_gR1YkgE1Fq1iXOWff0omva09TMM

Option 3.

1.Unhtlba4_pFbInycRbR8ahE3_JfTNHyHWzn8k9089pvb.VQhVSAhYlHwSiFsEGWqpCQGESYWt8Q2x75KCWbiqKaY
1.WV8rera49bYdzXe7FUN3TVfY97CV23egHdb3tJvT_byd.J8poKnc29r3aIp1uefps-NlbLIJyJfRxtUU80Ntg7ks
1.a4aQtba4x2-mAkViyqBFlOwXxWkuFEV5phnFbSAcz2Um.gAVn5vJ8gPRM4wV_pKsY6ezTU3daEvnRYTIBdn7T4SE
1.nljfjba4MrHpOrC87-OwSqMvMLdhLLCn6SEws28kOrtp.YWXQcIHzfxiAjCpP_10cXko3GFssCopHIS5Ox3O4qbg

Thank you!

P.S. It seems that they are almost the same, but nonetheless...

Reply 87 of 95, by elszgensa

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Uh. Yeah those look to be technically identical. If you want black connectors, and the silkscreen to say "1.1" go with A; B and C for colors and "1.10" silkscreen, or in other words - get whichever's cheapest. Or you could wait a bit for another model to show up, one with a wavetable header (even if unpopulated) - you might not care now, but may change your mind later.

Reply 88 of 95, by dancing.sphinx

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the advice! One more question: does it make sense to buy an ISA m/b + ESS card for better ESFM quality? In other words, does the Solo-1 have the same analog audio output as its ISA counterparts? (AFAIK there is no any S/PDIF version of the ESS card, which might be a better option)

Reply 89 of 95, by ux-3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Can you use a yamaha wavetable with this card (wavetable header present) in pure DOS games? I know the card works well in dos.

No hanging notes bug or some such?

Retro PC warning: The things you own end up owning you.

Reply 90 of 95, by Demolition-Man

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This sound card is driving me crazy. You obviously need the right PC (mainboard). No matter what I do, the sound card always ends up on IRQ10. Therefore not usable in DOS. But I have a question about that. How do you get the game port activated? No jumper, no software config?

Reply 91 of 95, by dancing.sphinx

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
elszgensa wrote on Yesterday, 00:18:

Uh. Yeah those look to be technically identical. If you want black connectors, and the silkscreen to say "1.1" go with A; B and C for colors and "1.10" silkscreen, or in other words - get whichever's cheapest. Or you could wait a bit for another model to show up, one with a wavetable header (even if unpopulated) - you might not care now, but may change your mind later.

There is also one difference that may not be important, but anyway - variant 1 has a chip labeled "SOLO", the other variants only have a bare chip without the word "SOLO". Is this related to some chip revision or something?

Reply 92 of 95, by elszgensa

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You're right, I totally missed that. Whoops. To save you the trouble of rotating those photos, they're H808, K390 and K350 revisions. The K revisions might be worse unless paired with an EEPROM? Probably a good idea to re-skim this thread.

Reply 93 of 95, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ux-3 wrote on Yesterday, 12:35:

Can you use a yamaha wavetable with this card (wavetable header present) in pure DOS games? I know the card works well in dos.

If it has a wavetable header, it should work fine with any wavetable daughtercard.

I have an ESS Solo-1 that I added a wavetable header to and I've tested with dozens of games, and for the most part there were no issues.

I reported my test results in this thread: ESS Solo-1 DOS Compatibility Testing on Multiple Systems

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 94 of 95, by ux-3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Shponglefan wrote on Yesterday, 22:20:
If it has a wavetable header, it should work fine with any wavetable daughtercard. […]
Show full quote

If it has a wavetable header, it should work fine with any wavetable daughtercard.

I have an ESS Solo-1 that I added a wavetable header to and I've tested with dozens of games, and for the most part there were no issues.

I reported my test results in this thread: ESS Solo-1 DOS Compatibility Testing on Multiple Systems

Thanks. Looking at your signiture, I looked a bit into your 486-33 thread. I am finalizing mine at the moment - at least I hope so. (Solo-1 question was for a different model).

Retro PC warning: The things you own end up owning you.

Reply 95 of 95, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Wavetable header works 100% bug free.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.