VOGONS

First post, by Vipersan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So ..I'm hoping this mini project is considered suitably retro or classic.
We all know modern TVs ship with the new standard of HDMI ..and rarely have Component I/O ie RGB..
This is something the Xbox classic does rather well ..
it does of course have component out ..
But Wii component to HDMI adapters can be had for a few ££s from china..
These of course are fitted with the proprietory Wii connector ..
So I bought one with a component lead ..R G B plus audio for about £6 all in .
Cracked the unit open and removed the wiii connector ..
I then cut the component read leaving a few cm of wire ..
sadly this only provides R G B ..left and right audio ..and ground ..
..but we need 5volts to power the Wii pcb ..so removed the component cable shroud and found pin 13 which _does_ carry 5v from the Xbox ..so an additional wire fitted ..
These wires could now be connected to the Wii adapter pcb where the proprietory plug had been removed.
et voila ..we now have an Xbox hdmi adapter..
See photos for details..
Sorry some are out of focus ..but you do get 720p hdmi out ..plus audio to the TV.
My Xbox classic will look a bit unconventional ..on account many years ago ..I built it all into a Bush DVD player case ..

I will of course need to construct a protective box/case for the adapter ...all in good time.

rgds
VS

Attachments

• DSCF0078.JPG
    Filename
    DSCF0078.JPG
    File size
    328.36 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • DSCF0077.JPG
    Filename
    DSCF0077.JPG
    File size
    321.59 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • DSCF0076.JPG
    Filename
    DSCF0076.JPG
    File size
    322.32 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • DSCF0075.JPG
    Filename
    DSCF0075.JPG
    File size
    306.41 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • DSCF0074.JPG
    Filename
    DSCF0074.JPG
    File size
    309.87 KiB
    Views
    File license
Last edited by Vipersan on 2018-11-07, 16:02. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 10, by Vipersan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thought it would be helpful to identify the pins/wire colours..
The orange wire is the one added to carry 5v
Black is as expected GND
Green is Green out
Blue is blue out
Yellow is Red out ..
The Red and white wires are Right and left Audio.
rgds
VS

Reply 2 of 10, by jxalex

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

mate it should be schematic when doing things like that, not just pictures.

Current project: DOS ISA soundcard with 24bit/96Khz digital I/O, SB16 compatible switchable.
newly made SB-clone ...with 24bit and AES/EBU... join in development!

Reply 3 of 10, by Vipersan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
jxalex wrote:

mate it should be schematic when doing things like that, not just pictures.

You're right of course ..
..and I was working on it when you posted ...🤣
Anyway ..this is the schematic I came up with

keep in mind if you use a premade RGB lead ..all the relevant ground connections are already linked inside the Xbox plug end ..which makes the job easier..
rgds
VS

Attachments

Reply 5 of 10, by Vipersan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
AlaricD wrote:

Dang, all that work and the end result is STILL so blurry. (Maybe can you put up a better-focused pic for that last one?)

Not at the moment sadly ..my camera is refusing to work correctly in anything but macro mode..
maybe later..
rgds

Reply 6 of 10, by AlaricD

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Vipersan wrote:
Not at the moment sadly ..my camera is refusing to work correctly in anything but macro mode.. maybe later.. rgds […]
Show full quote
AlaricD wrote:

Dang, all that work and the end result is STILL so blurry. (Maybe can you put up a better-focused pic for that last one?)

Not at the moment sadly ..my camera is refusing to work correctly in anything but macro mode..
maybe later..
rgds

Bummer about the camera 🙁

A real nice closeup of an area with fine detail might help us see how it looks. Of course, there will be the moiré pattern but I think it might still be informative.

Reply 7 of 10, by Vipersan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Borrowed a camera ..and took a few snaps of a ghibli movie ) running in 720p on XBMC..
sadly I havent worked out how to turn off the flash ..
I dont haveany Xbox games that output and run in 720p ..such as 'the matrix' so only can output games in a lower resolution ..
Hope these photos give some idea anyway..
rgds
VS

Attachments

• P1000279.jpg
    Filename
    P1000279.jpg
    File size
    478.2 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • P1000275.jpg
    Filename
    P1000275.jpg
    File size
    456.22 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 8 of 10, by Vipersan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It would appear I can also output the same movie in 1080i through XBMC ...but for some reason the audio isn't sent via HDMI ?
could be a setting in XBMC ..but I rather suspect the this might be the Wii dongle ?
There is 3.5mm jack on the Wii dongle which allows the audio to be output to external speakers..
I'll keep working on it ..
All that said You can still connect an Xbox to a modern TV via hdmi with audio to play Xbox games ..which is why I started this project ..anything else is just bonus.
rgds
VS

Reply 9 of 10, by KCompRoom2000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Interesting. I never would've thought someone would try to make an (original) XBOX HDMI adapter. Since HDMI adapters exist for every other 6th generation console, I figured it'd be time for the original XBOX to receive the same treatment.

Some TVs will allow you to use the RCA/Composite audio jacks for separate analog audio in for HDMI since there are some devices that pass DVI video through HDMI when using an adapter, but since audio isn't carried through DVI, a separate audio connection is expected for those devices. My first instinct would be to try using a 3.5mm to RCA cable to connect your adapter's audio feed to the TV.

There are a handful of XBOX games that support outputting in HD (mainly titles from 2002-06).

Reply 10 of 10, by Vipersan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
KCompRoom2000 wrote:

Interesting. I never would've thought someone would try to make an (original) XBOX HDMI adapter. Since HDMI adapters exist for every other 6th generation console, I figured it'd be time for the original XBOX to receive the same treatment.

Some TVs will allow you to use the RCA/Composite audio jacks for separate analog audio in for HDMI since there are some devices that pass DVI video through HDMI when using an adapter, but since audio isn't carried through DVI, a separate audio connection is expected for those devices. My first instinct would be to try using a 3.5mm to RCA cable to connect your adapter's audio feed to the TV.

There are a handful of XBOX games that support outputting in HD (mainly titles from 2002-06).

In actual fact a company called Pound I think did make such an adapter a few years back ..but these are getting more difficult to find ..and I suspect aren't made any loger since the price for these has doubled if not trebled.
hence my reason for trying to come up with a cheap solution.
There is no upscaling involved ..on account most TVs take care of this internally ..
The device is simply format change and pass through.
After doing some reading..
The audio issue was also present on the 'pound' unit ..
It would appear some LCDs either dont process the hdmi audio ..or is more likely muted if not what was expected.
In fact ..some TVs will not even process and upscale the lower res signals from the Xbox via hdmi ..resulting in a blank screen ..
switch on 720p and 1080i ..and use a higher res game in the Xbox ..and the blanking problem goes away..
not sure about the audio issues.

I have ordered a cheap copy of 'the matrix' xbox game which does 1080i ..to do some tests.
certainly I cant get this homebrew adapter to output anything at lower res ..on my LG 4K Tv ..but it passes video just fine on a cheapo Toshiba HD TV ..
rgds
VS