VOGONS

First post, by winuser3162

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello, I have previously already posted about this in the software however i wanted to see what people here have to say.

I have been trying to install windows XP professional on a 2007 dell precision 690 workstation with dual intel Xeons but unfortunately, each time the computer restarts during the installation the machine just blue screens. I have been able to get window vista and windows 7 installed on this machine with no problems what so ever but with windows XP i keep running into the same BSOD despite this machine being shipped out with a copy of windows XP pro when it was first manufactured.
here is the BSOD code in question, i believe it has something to do with the storage device configuration.

Technical information:
STOP: 0x0000007B (0xF78D2524, 0x00000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

I have tried installing onto other hard drives as well as using other copies of windows XP such as home but i still get a BSOD.
I have also switched the drive from AHCI to ATA with no luck. same BSOD

1:intel Core 2 Extreme QX 6700, 2X GeForce 8800GTX SLI, SB Audigy 2ZS, XFX 780i SLI, 4GB Corsair XMS DDR2, Custom Waterloop
2:intel Pentium MMX , ATI Rage 3D, SoundBlaster16, Diamond Monstor 3D, 60MB Ram, Asus P/1-P55T2P4, Win NT 4.0/Windows 95 pLuS!

Reply 1 of 2, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm betting it's due to XP not having the drivers to detect your hard drive controller. It's pretty common issue on any SATA based PC and XP

The below link is pretty good at going through all the steps though.
https://www.experts-exchange.com/questions/27 … ll-Windows.html

XP setup only accepts the text mode driver from a floppy disk (by hitting F6 which is why it's often called the F6 driver)

If you can't use a floppy you can use nlite to inject the required driver into a windows install iso
http://www.waynezim.com/2009/07/how-to-slipst … on-using-nlite/

Reply 2 of 2, by ElectroSoldier

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Load the drivers for the SAS controller from a floppy disk in the text based portion of the installation, or create a custom XP install and integrate the drivers into it as said above.

The SAS controller (PERC 5i) is what causes the problem with 2k/XP installs.

There are a couple of drivers for it, I cant remember which one I used, I do remember one of them gave me problems even though it was on the Dell site support page for the 690 XP drivers.