VOGONS

Reply 20 of 24, by jwt27

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

YMF71x cards have a very flat frequency response compared to the Creative cards I've seen. But because the 8-bit output is entirely unfiltered, it does have extremely high harmonic distortion. This is the "crisp" sound you hear, and I'd say for low sample rates, that is a good thing. Just a matter of personal preference though.

Reply 21 of 24, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

On the SB Pro 2 you can disable the low-pass filter which will unlock some of that detail 😀

I documented this a while ago in this thread:

Re: SB Vibra 16S / Vibra Pro / AWE64 output quality

Enjoy the clarity 😎

Cards like the ESS AudioDrive or Audacian are very very quiet however. I think I might have to revisit them again and check them out in more detail.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 22 of 24, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:
On the SB Pro 2 you can disable the low-pass filter which will unlock some of that detail :) […]
Show full quote

On the SB Pro 2 you can disable the low-pass filter which will unlock some of that detail 😀

I documented this a while ago in this thread:

Re: SB Vibra 16S / Vibra Pro / AWE64 output quality

Enjoy the clarity 😎

Cards like the ESS AudioDrive or Audacian are very very quiet however. I think I might have to revisit them again and check them out in more detail.

Turning off the low-pass filter on my SB Pro is on my to-do list, that'll be interesting.

And yes I'm on an AudioDrive kick at the moment, just waiting for cards with the various chipsets to arrive to find the best of the best 😈

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 23 of 24, by PeterLI

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
bristlehog wrote:

YOU! Thelyron Hashnitor!!

I nearly had a heart attack when my IBM Music Feature auto-search returned non-zero results. However, that was you offering a FB-01 bundle for sale and using 'IBM Music Feature card' string in lot description!

Sorry about that. I was under a lot of pressure from the Mrs. to sell some stuff so I had to resort to keyword shenanigans. 🤣