Radeon 9800 XT Troubles - Need Advice

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 24, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tetrium wrote:

It's damned huge indeed 🤣! But you're right, boards that would actually benefit by having such HSFs installed typically have most other things integrated and I typically only bother with things like sound cards and NICs if I for some reason have troubles with the integrated stuff.

What's that VGA HSF named and how much does it cost? I might consider getting me a 'couple' if my budget allows it 😜

There is one other trick to get those Zalmans cheaply, but it has some disadvantages. I often buy in bulk to save on shipping costs and because buying in bulk roughly equate to fewer purchases, so I have less hassle than when I buy every component individually. Often people that sell a lot will be the ones that are adept at computing and often will have modded or tweaked their hardware, I've on several occasions bought dead graphics cards that had such coolers installed for next to nothing, only grip is that some of these coolers are originally sold with multiple retention mechanisms, which the buyer of the dead graphics card will obviously not receive. But this way I got several of those Zalman coolers for like €5 and I got me some nice looking PCBs for free 😁

Here it is. I think it used to be a little cheaper:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NVIDIA-ATI-VGA-Video- … FAAAOxypNtSjiPs

I must warn you though, I had to trim it a little bit to fit 9800Pro - SMD components got in the way. You can see it on my picture, if you take a closer look at the top edge.

The sensor on the HSF reads 45-50°C under load.

Reply 21 of 24, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
RacoonRider wrote:
Here it is. I think it used to be a little cheaper: http://www.ebay.com/itm/NVIDIA-ATI-VGA-Video- … FAAAOxypNtSjiPs […]
Show full quote

Here it is. I think it used to be a little cheaper:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NVIDIA-ATI-VGA-Video- … FAAAOxypNtSjiPs

I must warn you though, I had to trim it a little bit to fit 9800Pro - SMD components got in the way. You can see it on my picture, if you take a closer look at the top edge.

The sensor on the HSF reads 45-50°C under load.

Cheers!

It's a bit too expensive for my taste (though I will remember this one as it seems to be a very good one and will fit these old highend AGP cards), then I tried to find those Chinese coolers Phil seemed to like so much, but most of them seem to not be compatible with FX5900 or GF6800 (though imo the latter doesn't need it), but they are very cheap indeed!
Yup, when I mounted the VF700 on that 9600XT I had to bend some of the fins a bit as a capacitor was in the way, but only by a little.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 22 of 24, by Totempole

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Given that I can get a Vantec Iceberq 6's for less than a 3rd of the price of the Chinese Cooler, I think I should just buy one or two Iceberq 6's.

Also a bit worried that it might weigh the card down a bit though, since it weighs about 400g and the only thing holding it up would be the card and a lsot bracket.

My Retro Gaming PC:
Pentium III 450MHz Katmai Slot 1
Transcend 256MB PC133
Gigabyte GA-6BXC
MSI Geforce 2 MX400 AGP
Ensoniq ES1371 PCI
Sound Blaster AWE64 ISA

Reply 23 of 24, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Totempole wrote:

Given that I can get a Vantec Iceberq 6's for less than a 3rd of the price of the Chinese Cooler, I think I should just buy one or two Iceberq 6's.

Good point! I bought the Chinese one for one third of the price in Rubles, but then again, Ruble became two times cheaper since then.

Totempole wrote:

Also a bit worried that it might weigh the card down a bit though, since it weighs about 400g and the only thing holding it up would be the card and a lsot bracket.

I think the cooler has its own bracket for a reason 😀

Reply 24 of 24, by Totempole

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The Rand has also halved in value over the past 2 years, so I feel your pain.

My Retro Gaming PC:
Pentium III 450MHz Katmai Slot 1
Transcend 256MB PC133
Gigabyte GA-6BXC
MSI Geforce 2 MX400 AGP
Ensoniq ES1371 PCI
Sound Blaster AWE64 ISA