VOGONS

First post, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I just picked up a Roland SC-88 for cheap. Knew it was not working properly before I bought it.

All controls and the display works.
MIDI In is responding to data as is reflected on the screen.

I'm just not getting any MIDI audio output from the headphone jack or the rear outputs.

Pushing the volume knob for preview shows up on the screen but there is no output.

When turning the input volume knob on the back of the unit, I do hear a tiny bit of scratching through the headphones.

I do get audio through the headphones if I output from my computer to the phono input jacks on the SC-88.

What I have done:
1. Reset to factory defaults
2. Replaced battery
3. Re-soldered the connections for the headphone jack as all 3 connections were obviously cracked / loose.
4. Verified continuity of the connections of the headphone jack after re-soldering.
5. Verified my other stuff is all working properly via hooking it up to my SC-88vl.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 1 of 11, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ok, so I found the service manual and the Memory test is showing to check:
DRAM - IC24(1),23(2)
WAVE ROM - IC14(A),8(B),7(C),6(D)
XP CHIP - IC15

That sounds like there is something wrong with voltage delivery to me. Maybe there are some more bad solder joints. I'll have to work on it some more later but at least I have an idea of what to look at.

In any case, I am attaching the service notes for future reference:

Filename
ROLAND_SC-88_SERVICE_NOTES.zip
File size
4.1 MiB
Downloads
74 downloads
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 2 of 11, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Found a vcfed where somebody was having a somewhat similar issue and in the end it turn out to be a bad connection:
https://www.vcfed.org/forum/forum/collections … work#post770685

I think I will start out checking everything on both main circuit boards.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 3 of 11, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Took it apart again and took a closer look at the board. There is definitely some corrosion from leaking capacitors... yay. I am starting to not like these SMD electrolytic capacitors.

Also check out how Roland used components that are way smaller than the pad layout suggests was needed.

IMGP2951.jpg
Filename
IMGP2951.jpg
File size
260.55 KiB
Views
File license
GPL-2.0-or-later
IMGP2952.jpg
Filename
IMGP2952.jpg
File size
337.62 KiB
Views
File license
GPL-2.0-or-later
IMGP2953.jpg
Filename
IMGP2953.jpg
File size
266.35 KiB
Views
File license
GPL-2.0-or-later
IMGP2954.jpg
Filename
IMGP2954.jpg
File size
246.66 KiB
Views
File license
GPL-2.0-or-later
IMGP2956.jpg
Filename
IMGP2956.jpg
File size
328.96 KiB
Views
File license
GPL-2.0-or-later

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 5 of 11, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
yawetaG wrote on 2021-05-08, 06:33:

Seeing the gunk on the chip (3rd pic), maybe something went poof because it destructively failed?

Nah, I don't think so. It is actually just gunk stuck to the chip. I know what a poofed chip looks like and this isn't it.

I just scratched it off with my fingernail. Chip looks fine.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 6 of 11, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I believe with a recap and some patching when necessary the unit will work fine again
it's a classic leaking caps symptom

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 7 of 11, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
keropi wrote on 2021-05-08, 09:47:

I believe with a recap and some patching when necessary the unit will work fine again
it's a classic leaking caps symptom

I really hope that OP will get his SC-88 to sing again .

This does make me wonder, though, how common are leaky/bad capacitor issues on SC-55 and SC-88 Roland sound modules ?

I am asking from the perspective of whether pro-active re-capping should be considered on still working units,especially if no leakage/corrosion seems to be visually apparent (yet).

These units are all 25 to 30 years old, but I have seen relatively few issues reported. This could either mean that that the "bad" ones are outliers or that we are seeing the beginning of a wave of upcoming cap related failures or that I have been living under a rock and just have not noticed how many issues are cropping up .

One thing to consider is that the problem unit described here is an SC-88, which has an internal PSU, so may be subject to greater heat buildup than, for example, an SC-55 or SC-88VL, that both have external PSUs (though I imagine that all the aforementioned units use an internal linear regulator to derive the voltage actually used).

Reply 8 of 11, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

SC-55 mk1 and mk2 use "old style" electrolytic caps so no leaking like this
everything from that era that uses smd caps is prone to capacitor leaking - it affects everything from home computers to game consoles and everything needs a recap if you care to have it working

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 9 of 11, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
keropi wrote on 2021-05-08, 10:25:

SC-55 mk1 and mk2 use "old style" electrolytic caps so no leaking like this
everything from that era that uses smd caps is prone to capacitor leaking - it affects everything from home computers to game consoles and everything needs a recap if you care to have it working

Thank you .

I was aware of the fact that at least some of these early SMD caps were problematic in lots of electronic product of the same vintage, I just had not heard of many SC-88 units with similar issues . So the answer to my question is essentially that it is only a question of time before pretty much anything with SMD caps from that era (EDIT : likely regardless of capacitor brand) needs recapping and possibly corrosion related repairs, if I understand correctly (at least we got a few decades out of these caps, unlike the later "capacitor plague" era stuff)

The photos that I have seen online seem to show the SC-88VL using "old style" through hole caps (I will need to check mine) like the SC-55 variants, so , ironically, the cost reduced SC-88VL may be more maintenance free than the SC-88 .

SC-88VL mainboard photo : https://xn--krketr-jual.com/projects_isa486_e … 32_trimmers.php EDIT : My unit is externally identical to the one pictured .

Reply 11 of 11, by CrossBow777

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've mentioned this in other places here, but even my 2003 Edirol SD-20 had evidence of SMD cap leakage. I only found this when trying to figure out why I wasn't getting any audio from the analog outputs off the module. When I saw the dull grey and crumbly look of the solder at the base of the caps, I knew I needed to replace them out. I did so using standard electrolytics and sure enough, the analog outputs starting working again after that.

g883j7-2.png
Midi Modules: MT-32 (OLD), MT-200, MT-300, MT-90S, MT-90U, SD-20