Common searches

Online copies of games are not owned

Topic actions

Reply 120 of 129, by twiz11

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
MAZter wrote on 2024-05-03, 16:19:

There is growing dissatisfaction with Limited Run Games, which last year announced a pre-order of the collector's edition of the game "D" for 3DO consoles at a price of $64.99 per piece plus shipping, contrary to the expectations of collectors, instead of stamping, regular CD-Rs were used, which are not readable on some consoles, in particular GoldStar. It was assumed that no one would open the kits after half a year of waiting for an order, and therefore would not notice the catch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLE9bVMwz-c

i dont get them i got D on gog and it works in dosbox

RETIRED
This user is no longer active on VOGONS.

Reply 121 of 129, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Helldivers 2 has been pulled from Steam in 170 countries without PSN access

How Sony could mess up this badly is truly mind-boggling.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 122 of 129, by Munx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Joseph_Joestar wrote on 2024-05-05, 15:13:

From what I keep reading Steam is accepting refunds because of this, regardless of play time, which IMO is actually fair.

Still dumb on on Sonys part. Its also still available to purchase here in the Baltics even though PSN is not supported.

My builds!
The FireStarter 2.0 - The wooden K5
The Underdog - The budget K6
The Voodoo powerhouse - The power-hungry K7
The troll PC - The Socket 423 Pentium 4

Reply 123 of 129, by twiz11

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Munx wrote on 2024-05-05, 15:44:

From what I keep reading Steam is accepting refunds because of this, regardless of play time, which IMO is actually fair.

Still dumb on on Sonys part. Its also still available to purchase here in the Baltics even though PSN is not supported.

you think streaming HD2 is still viable since you can play it anywhere?

RETIRED
This user is no longer active on VOGONS.

Reply 124 of 129, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Looks like Sony has backed off on this change: Sony Gives Up ‘Helldivers 2’ PSN Link Demand, The Only Way This Could Have Ended

“Helldivers fans — we’ve heard your feedback on the Helldivers 2 account linking update. The May 6 update, which would have required Steam and PlayStation Network account linking for new players and for current players beginning May 30, will not be moving forward.”

“We’re still learning what is best for PC players and your feedback has been invaluable. Thanks again for your continued support of Helldivers 2 and we’ll keep you updated on future plans.”

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 125 of 129, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The only question left. For how long. It's already announced that Ghost of Tsushima will require account linking for the co-op to work.

sreq.png retrogamer-s.png

Reply 127 of 129, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well... this is a much more realistic way of you losing your access to your game library than Steam or any other content delivery system going out of business.

Steam is now banned in Vietnam

sreq.png retrogamer-s.png

Reply 128 of 129, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
RandomStranger wrote on 2024-05-14, 16:58:

Well... this is a much more realistic way of you losing your access to your game library than Steam or any other content delivery system going out of business.

Steam is now banned in Vietnam

Well I should hide my possession of games

previously known as Discrete_BOB_058

Reply 129 of 129, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dr_st wrote on 2024-04-16, 11:30:
I am as big an opponent of online DRM as anyone - I only buy my digital games from GOG - but The Crew is a rather poor example, […]
Show full quote

I am as big an opponent of online DRM as anyone - I only buy my digital games from GOG - but The Crew is a rather poor example, almost clickbait-grade in my opinion.

Let's see. An online-only game, with no single-player content at all (per my understanding), which was from the day of its release tied to the servers of the publisher. What exactly did you expect?

That the publisher shall be legally obligated to keep the gaming servers online until the heat death of the universe?
That the publisher, before unplugging the servers, shall be legally obligated to add single-player content to the game and release it for free? Or perhaps add a LAN mode? Release the game's source so that someone else can hack it and run their own third party software?

You probably didn't expect any of that. The game already became useless with the shutdown of the servers 2 weeks ago. Yes, removing it from the accounts may seem like a unilateral license revocation, which is what got people pissed. I suppose Ubisoft did it to cut down on tech support calls from people trying to launch the game and getting an error.

All in all - it's like buying a punch card subscription to a gym or an amusement park. Even if there is no expiration date on card, one must understand that the gym / park can one day simply shut down / move / go out of business.

I have in front of me a different example, which encompasses both a good and a bad approach from a published: the PC versions of Rovio's Angry Birds games.

Every copy of every such game ever bought or downloaded is the full version installer, with a short playable demo, and the rest locked behind an online activation code. You would get the code inside the case of your retail copy, or emailed to you after buying the game in the digital store.

Years ago, Rovio stopped selling the games, and did a curious thing - rigged the activation servers to simply accept any codes given to them - suddenly the full games became free, since you could find the installers on various websites, even after Rovio took them off their own. It was obvious, though, that at some point, the servers would be taken offline (and I made a point activating all my copies), which finally happened earlier this year.

So now - even if you have a legal retail copy with a code - you cannot activate it if you haven't done so yet. Well, no biggie - it probably took less than a week for someone to figure out how to crack the local activation check.

At this point, I would just hope some warez group takes the game up and release it themselves (SW Battlefront 2015, FIFA 15 reference)

previously known as Discrete_BOB_058