VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by ixfd64

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This is a question from /r/AskReddit that I figured would make an especially interesting thread here. If you could experience any video game as if you were playing it for the first time ever, which one would it be?

For me, it's probably Super Mario World. That game was a big part of my childhood, and I always felt a sense of wonder when I unlocked a new level for the first time. Sure, there are lots of ROM hacks out there, but it just doesn't beat playing the original game.

Honorable mention: Doom. One of my friends showed me the shareware version in the summer of 1999, and it was what really got me into first-person shooters. I remember taking several minutes to find out how to open the doors in E1M1. Ah, memories...

http://facebook.com/ixfd64

Reply 2 of 41, by Sammy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Wing Commander 3, with these great Multimedia Video Clips !
Compared to other games, wing commander 3 was HDTV 😀

Or some of the Lucas Arts Adventures: Zak McKraken, Day of the Tentacle, Indiana Jones: Atlantis, Sam & Max.

Reply 3 of 41, by JayCeeBee64

User metadata
Rank Retired
Rank
Retired

Doom, Descent, Duke Nukem 3D, X-COM: UFO Defense, Warcraft II, Unreal.

I'm sure there are more, but these are the ones that come to mind first and foremost for me 😀

Ooohh, the pain......

Reply 4 of 41, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'll go newer: Dark Souls.
Sinked 100s of hours and loved every single second. I miss the online activity from when the game was new and the constant edge the game kept you while you progressed the story.

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 6 of 41, by 133MHz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My vote also goes for Super Mario World, it was such a wonderful childhood experience, but having played it to death a thousand times over, I know every last inch of this game and when I replay it I feel like a junkie in the futile quest of getting a high as good as the first one. 🙁
Super Mario Bros. 3 is almost up there too, but I believe the inability to replay a level once beaten has inadvertently kept it from wearing out as badly as SMW did for me. Even to this day I keep finding/discovering/noticing new things when I play it which is all kinds of awesome. 😀

Doom and others were also very memorable and an important part of my childhood but they've held up much better. I'd totally get part of my memory erased MIB-style so that I could experience SMW all over again. 😵

http://133FSB.wordpress.com

Reply 8 of 41, by dirkmirk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Wolfenstein 3D: The game was so Evil, pointing guns and shooting people gave an unbelievable kick, I was blown away for a long time after discovering it.

Reply 9 of 41, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Chrono Trigger. Playing it through repeatedly (on the DS) just got downright stale.

I'm kind of reluctant to play The World Ends With You again, just because it was so much fun the first time around and I don't want to spoil the memories.

Reply 10 of 41, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Vangers! OMG I loved that game, but unfortunately I'm not into playing games all that much anymore. 🙁

Check me out at Transcendental Airwaves on Youtube! Fast-food sucks!

Reply 13 of 41, by retrofanatic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That's a tough one...there are so many great games out there that I would love to experience again for the first time...

...For Console gaming it has to be Phantasy Star II for me.

For PC gaming, it is a close tie between XWing, Leisure Suit Larry I, and Space Quest III.

Reply 15 of 41, by 2fort5r

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
vetz wrote:

World of Warcraft. I was so blown away the first time I played it with my friends.

I avoided this game for years because I knew it was a major time waster. I did eventually try it though. The first time playing was amazing. I just wandered around for hours awestruck. Riding that tram for the first time was particularly memorable.

Account retired. Now posting as Errius.

Reply 16 of 41, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

NES: Blaster Master - So many Nintendo games I loved.. but this one blew me away as a kid. Excellent music.... Cool (Odd?) story about a boy and his frog, an armored tank named S.O.P.H.I.A, and HUGE bosses?! I mean, come on!

il_570xN.435553223_s7uz.jpg

SNES: Super Castlevania IV - My favorite game series EVER, and seeing this on a 16-bit system... Ohhh man... Those GFX, the sound! What's not to like?!

gfs_40425_2_16_mid.jpg

PC: GL Quake - 3DFX grabbed me by the balls and never let go!

quake00064.jpg

My Retro B:\ytes YouTube Channel & Retro Collection
LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 17 of 41, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

For me, it's the older adventure games with text parser, but graphics. Space I to III, but also games such as Gateway. For some reason, the lack of graphical fidelity allowed for more imagination. As much as I love Monkey Island and Fate of Atlantis, it's these old games that I would enjoy playing again the most.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 18 of 41, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Artex wrote:

NES: Blaster Master - So many Nintendo games I loved.. but this one blew me away as a kid. Excellent music.... Cool (Odd?) story about a boy and his frog, an armored tank named S.O.P.H.I.A, and HUGE bosses?! I mean, come on!

Brutally difficult, though. Did you ever finish it in your youth?

Reply 19 of 41, by RadioPoultry

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Commander Keen: Marooned on Mars.

But close behind are:

King's Quest I
Dino Eggs (Apple II)
Spare Change (Apple II)
Captain Comic
Winnie the Pooh in the Hundred Acre Wood (Apple II)
Commander Keen: Secret of the Oracle