List of VLB IDE Controllers

Topic actions

Reply 260 of 262, by Kekkula

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you very much for your reply.
I got the ide 2 working with xt-ide.

Now I 'm having a weird issue with com port. I can't get it to recognise serial mouse. Ctmouse recognises both my serial mouses in mouse systems mode and mouse is not working in that mode.

Reply 261 of 262, by mkarcher

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Kekkula wrote on 2024-05-05, 14:22:

Thank you very much for your reply.
I got the ide 2 working with xt-ide.

I guess you need the XT-IDE Universal BIOS (XUB) because the IDE port you use is still responding to the secondary port address (170) and uses the secondary interrupt line (IRQ15). If you want to get rid of that, you would need to find out whether you can reconfigure the ISA IDE port to 1F0/IRQ14, so it will be supported by the mainboard BIOS. Except for support for the secondary address, there are other reasons to use the XUB, like big drive support (LBA), and if there are reasons you want to use XT-IDE anyway, you can just keep the configuration as-is.

Kekkula wrote on 2024-05-05, 14:22:

Now I 'm having a weird issue with com port. I can't get it to recognise serial mouse. Ctmouse recognises both my serial mouses in mouse systems mode and mouse is not working in that mode.

"Recognize" is a term that is too strong in case of Mouse Systems mice. In contrast to Microsoft mice that identify themselves as soon as you "power them up" by setting the modem control lines to appropriate level by sending the letter "M", Mouse Systems mice are completely silent and can not be recognized. To deal with this property of Mouse Systems mice, most serial mouse drivers that support mouse systems mice fall back to Mouse Systems mode if they don't get any response on the COM port they are told to operate on.

In short: Your mouse driver likely doesn't recognize anything, and because of that, it enables Mouse Systems mode.

The reason your mouse driver does not recognize the mouse might be that you are using the wrong kind of DE9-to-IDC-connector cable. There are two common mappings. While it is not a strict rule, a good rule of thumb is that the DE9 pins are mapped this way on Multi-I/O expansion cards:

2 4 6 8 .
1 3 5 7 9

which is the conventional order of pins on the pin header. On the other hand, integrated Super-I/O chips on the mainboard are typically wired to use this pinout

6 7 8 9 .
1 2 3 4 5

If you are using the correct kind of cable, you should have continuity between pin 5 of the DE9 connector and ground. Ground is also present on all metal parts on the computer chassis. In case this card uses the typical expansion card layout, it has ground on the central "lower" pin. If you use a connection cable designed for the newer "on-board I/O" pinout, that pin will be connected to pin 3 (the central pin of the 5-pin row) in the DE9 connector. So you can use a continuity tester to find out whether you are using the correct kind of cable.

Reply 262 of 262, by Kekkula

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks again.
I didn't know that there are different kinds of serial ports.
I swapped the cable and now mouse works.
I'm using xt-ide because my suntac 286 motherboard bios doesn't support custom type hard drives. I configured io card to 1F0 , but forgot it to irq 15... Doesn't seem to matter, hd works.