VOGONS

First post, by DonkeyBas

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all,

I am building a mid-90s era pc, with intended OS to be Dos 6.22 and Windows 3.1. (maybe Windows 95 and 98 on other SD cards to swap in). I sort of missed the DOS era of computing/gaming, so a lot of this is new to me.

I have obtained a Gateway Intel LT430TX motherboard, but it did not come with a drivers disk. I was wondering if I need drivers for this board at all? It has an onboard ATI 3D video accelerator, so I would think it would need them?

For other reference, here are the parts I have obtained so far:

CASE: Evercase ECE0229LP microATX case
PSU: 170W
HARD DISK: IDE to SDHC card adapter (with 8GB SD card to be used as main hard drive)
RAM: 256MB (two 128MB sticks) 168pin SDR SDRAM PC-133 3.3v
MOBO: Gateway Intel LT430TX Socket 7 (with ATI Rage II 264GT soldered on motherboard)
CPU: Pentium MMX 233 MHZ
SOUND CARD: DRSOUND (Digital Research) Advanced 16-bit plug&play (ESS audiodrive chipset)
OPTICAL: TOSHIBA XM-3101BME SCSI CDROM Drive (Caddy-style cdrom drive)
SCSI CONTROLLER : Adaptec AVA-1502I ISA to SCSI Host 16 Bit Adapter Card
FLOPPY: NEC FD1231T 3.5" Floppy Disk Drive IDE

Attachments

Reply 1 of 4, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

For DOS/Win3.1 you will need standard Adaptec 1510 drivers (Aspi2Dos.sys + AspiCD.sys iirc) for the SCSI + cdrom.
You may need a driver for the ESS based sound card but not knowing the exact chipset makes it a bit hard to guess...
Not sure if the ATI w31-3098.exe driver for Win3.1 will work with onboard ATI Rage II, if not might work fine with generic Win3.11 SVGA driver...

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 2 of 4, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Seems that Medion shipped a system with an OEM Intel AN430TX (basically what you have here with this Gateway / Intel OEM board, minus the Yamaha OB audio). Found this on archive.org which seems to be the support files for the Medion version, and which includes Win 3.x / 95 /NT graphics drivers, so might be worth a try.

https://archive.org/download/T4600C-PC-STUFF/AN430TX.zip

Reply 3 of 4, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

For the video, usually systems of this vintage just use the PCI bus internally for the connection between the integrated video card and the rest of the motherboard. So normally regular drivers ought to work.

Reply 4 of 4, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yep, can confirm that, at least for the AN430TX. It's as bog-standard as it gets, just a PCI VGA adapter soldered onto the motherboard, accepts all regular Rage drivers for Win3.1 and 98SE (and probably everything in between too, but never tried that).