VOGONS

First post, by hufdjen1

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello everyone, Sorry if this is not where I'm supposed to post this, I'm new to this website.
I am experiencing a problem far too unique to even attempt googling this.
I have a PC from around the early to mid 2000s that I've started messing around with, and I changed this CD-Rom drive with a DVD drive.
Once i closed everything back up and booted up the system...I got a beep code, 1 long, 8 short. I googled this, and it appears to be a video card error. The hard drive spins up, I can hear the speakers for a second, ethernet lights and activity lights are on, but no fan activity at all.
Confused, I decided to reseat everything in case I knocked a cable loose, and as soon as I flicked the PSU switch on, it booted up, Windows XP loaded, and I was able to confirm that my DVD drive does work. After I turned it off though, put the side panel back on, it just throws the same error. I tried reseating everything again, but no luck.

I have an AGP Card (ATI 9800 Pro) and I know those usually don't have a very long lifespan. But I wouldn't imagine it dying like this, after simply changing a DVD drive. Especially since I saw it work fine for that one moment.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Specs:
MSI 865PE Neo2-v
1 GB DDR Ram
P4 2.8 GHz
ATI Radeon 9800 Pro (as previously mentioned)
80 GB HDD (sata)
IDE DVD-ROM drive

Edit: I've turned it on once again, and oddly enough, it worked...somewhat. I got to Windows, but the fans were acting very weird, in that they were not keeping a consistent tone or speed. After maybe a minute, the video went blank and the fans shut off, but the Power LED stayed on. Could this maybe be a power supply issue? I don't think it should be considering that it's a modern Corsair 550W unit, one that's worked fine before this. Again, any help is appreciated.

Reply 2 of 4, by hufdjen1

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
kotel wrote on 2024-04-28, 05:59:

Maybe try another GPU. Also, are there any bulging/leaking caps?

No, I made sure to check the caps when i reseated the card. And every time it POSTed, it worked perfectly.
Today though, I tried turning it on and it ran swimmingly. Fans ran fine, booted into windows, just like nothing happened.
If I encounter the problem in the future though, I'll try changing it. For now though, I'll hope nothing happens.
Thank you for your help.

Reply 3 of 4, by stanwebber

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

keep the side of the case off for awhile to observe. i had an ati pcie card with a fan that would randomly lock up with no other symptoms of failure. on reboot, more often than not, the fan would start spinning again. took awhile to figure out what was going on until i left the case open.

Reply 4 of 4, by hufdjen1

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
stanwebber wrote on 2024-04-28, 21:53:

keep the side of the case off for awhile to observe. i had an ati pcie card with a fan that would randomly lock up with no other symptoms of failure. on reboot, more often than not, the fan would start spinning again. took awhile to figure out what was going on until i left the case open.

I tried keeping it off, and just like it did before, it shut down after a while, again with the power LED still on. The card seemed completely fine, fan spun up and only shut off when the other fans shut off. It makes me think it could be a PSU issue.
Edit: as a last ditch effort, I reseated absolutely everything again. I found out that the ATX into the motherboard was loose, and I think thats what was causing it. My computer's been on for about 6 minutes now and hasn't crashed yet, so I think that's a win. Probably should've reseated the cables before I went posting about it.

But anyway, thank you for your help!