VOGONS

First post, by thp

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have a Soyo 4S A2/A5 486 mainboard, and its CMOS/BIOS battery is dead (everything still works if I reconfigure the BIOS settings every time I disconnect power, but it's tedious). The mainboard has an external battery connector (4-pin), the internal battery shows signs of oxidation(?) -- see attached pictures.

The manual has the following to say about the external battery connector:

J20 - External Battery Connector
J20 is a 4-pin connector to which you can attach an external battery. Pin 1 of J20 is positive (+) and pin 4 is negative (-).

If I wanted to add an external battery:

1. Will I have to desolder/clip off the internal battery when attaching the external battery pack?
2. Where do I get a fitting battery? (I've seen some on ebay, but unsure about the connector/voltage/specs)
3. Should I worry about the green oxidation(?) on the 4-pin connector (J20)? Should I use sandpaper to remove that?

top-view.jpg
Filename
top-view.jpg
File size
134.46 KiB
Views
File comment
Top view of old battery and external battery connector
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
side-view.jpg
Filename
side-view.jpg
File size
116.73 KiB
Views
File comment
Side view of old battery and external battery connector
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 2 of 3, by thp

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ok, I removed the battery from the board - it still boots (yay!). What's recommended to clean the residue corrosion on the board, or should I just leave it as-is, now that the battery is removed?

Also, any suggestions on where to get an external battery pack (eBay search terms would be helpful - only find newer 3-pin ones that don't fit)?

Reply 3 of 3, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I guess applying vinegar with a cotton swab to remove the residue (and neutralize it), then using isopropyl to clean it would be the best course of action. You should not leave the residue there.