First post, by Myloch

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Welcum to my magical world of weird purchases 🤣

s-l1600-4-4.jpg
s-l1600-1.png
Just some photos, no more infos online...
Incredible. 😠

Accend Inc. Logos - MobyGames
The logo sounds familiar.

Ok, I received the thing...weird s*it indeed! Just a bland cdrom paper sleeve and a piece of toilet paper as manual 🤮
P-20240405-151740-1.jpg

Oh my frickin' gawd! I can't believe it, an unknown msdos game, today ...in 2024! SHOCK!
I wonder where da fuq my provider took it from... the illuminati? 🤣

The piece of paper babbles about an exotic video card as requirement... nonsense I think...
Then I install and run the game in a Dosbox window and the nonsense becomes reality 🤦
bandicam-2024-04-05-15-14-18-903.jpg
Yeah I know it's a dosbox-x screenshot, too lazy to make another one for vanilla dosbox, same result.

Some infos about the required card here, infos about the chipset here.

*edit*
More detailed infos and photos here.

Somebody suggested me hacking the exe to bypass graphic card check is the only way to have some hope this can run but oh well...

"Gamer & collector for passion, I firmly believe in the preservation and the diffusion of old/rare software, against all personal egoisms"

Reply 1 of 5, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Interesting stuff. I can't imagine the software uses any special capabilities of the card, seems more like a hardware lock as it is OEM software. I'm wondering if it'll work with a Voodoo Rush (with the AT25 chip), even though that doesn't exactly use the same chipset.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 2 of 5, by jmarsh

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
vetz wrote on 2024-05-12, 10:26:

Interesting stuff. I can't imagine the software uses any special capabilities of the card, seems more like a hardware lock as it is OEM software.

Sounds like the card has basic MPEG-1 hardware decoding so that could be a factor, given the box art...

Reply 3 of 5, by Myloch

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
jmarsh wrote on 2024-05-12, 10:52:

Sounds like the card has basic MPEG-1 hardware decoding so that could be a factor, given the box art...

Nice observation. The cdrom includes the msdos game and a MPEG player for Windows. However manual txt has no mentions of fmvs and the full game is like 18megs.

"Gamer & collector for passion, I firmly believe in the preservation and the diffusion of old/rare software, against all personal egoisms"

Reply 4 of 5, by elszgensa

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I would've expected less than 18MB for just a bare pool game, and more for a reasonable amount of cutscenes. Maybe they got a FMV intro (which would be hardly worth pointing out in the manual) and that's it?

Reply 5 of 5, by Myloch

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

tree.jpg

All the files. Nothing extra on cdrom. Just one big lib file differs, if you choose english or chinese during install.
It's less than 18mb (my fault).

vetz wrote on 2024-05-12, 10:26:

I'm wondering if it'll work with a Voodoo Rush (with the AT25 chip)

Nope, but maybe it will work with this.